Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rappers Delight

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hobbes, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Anyone know who played the bass for this tune. I thought it was a sample of a Bernard Edwards line, and was wondering if anyone could either confirm this or correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I read somewhere that they used a sample of Good Times by Chic and I think he was the bassist, so I guess you´re right.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It was a straight rip of Bernard Edward's, (R.I.P.), "Good Times" line. Fluid, ain't it?

4. Doug Wimbish also played bass for The Sugar Hill Gang, i don't know if he added any bass to that song.

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    no that was all Bernard Edwards who could GROOVE
    and VERY rarely slapped,nard was BAD.
    Doug wimbush layed down everything after that
    listen to whitelines by grand master flash & the furious 5.rapper's delight is totally LOOPED.

6. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Doug Wimbush was the in-house bassist for sugarhill
    records.

7. I don't think Doug Wimbish played on Rapper's Delight, as they formed the house band after RD came out.
    and it isn't a sample of Good Times, as the bass sound is different (Stingray on the original, if I'm not mistaken).
    there's a BP issue that says the name of the band who did the backing for RD.

8. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    stingray on the original version is correct that same bass now belongs to john Taylor.

9. in the current issue of Guitarist Warren Cucurrullo(Duran Duran guitarist) says that he's got one of Bernard Edwards' stingrays, that he got from John Taylor (if i was him I'd definitely have kept it). also John Taylor has a Spector that used to belong to Edwards too.

10. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    wait one friggin second mock john gave his stingray
    away,that bass was a present to him from Bernard
    Edwards who's no longer here in physical form that is and he gave it away.you DON'T GIVE PRESENT'S AWAY.john need's to be slapped to rio if it's true.i'm serious that's SO UNCOOL.did he give the spector away 2.not good john.

11. I don't know about the Spector (I think it's a red NS2)- it was mentioned in John Taylor's bass player interview in 94.
    much as I like Taylor's playing on Rio/Save a prayer, he does come accross in interviews as being more style over content, and not being particularly bright- and he must be a bit dumb to give away Bernard Edwards' stingray.

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    "...and the chicken tastes like wood..."

lol, I couldn't help but post one of the corny lines from that song that always makes me laugh

after all, it's not everyday you see a thread titled 'Rappers Delight' ! :)

13. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Classic song , which paved the way for hip hop - it's regarded as the first hip hop track. The bass line was clearly a sample from 'Good Times' , disco/funk was so important I hear it sampled in all kinds of music from house to hip hop. Listen to 'Lady' by french dance act Modjo to hear an evident sampling of the original.

14. right, being the sad bass nerd I am I dug out the issue of BP where they did an article on Sugarhill (june 97)-

"rapper's delight- the song features a rap over a cover of the rhythm tracks of "good times" by Chic; these were recorded by a group called Positive Force".

also see http://music.excite.com/artist/biography/-193924

so not a sample, or Doug Wimbish either. case closed:)
    if you listen closely the tone phrasing of the bassline in Rapper's Delight is different to the original Good Times. (Good Times was better:))

can't find out who Positive Force's bass player was though....

15. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Especially not to the friggin' GUITARIST!!
    (OK, so I said the G-word)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I was looking at "Music Choice" on Sky Digital the other day and "Rapper's Delight" came up and you can hear quite clearly that it's not Bernard Edwards playing on it. I have a CD with "Good Times" and the bass sound on Rapper's Delight is nothing like it. Much "meatier" - emphasing the bottom end - could be a P bass - whereas Edwards' bass sound is more mid-emphasis. Edwards also play more notes and "ghosting" - the Rapper's Delight line is like a simplified version of the original.