Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rapper's Delight

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassplayingdan, Jan 23, 2005.

1. whose the genius who created that thumpin line? he needs more respect.

2. Doug Wimbish played on Rapper's delight, but Bernard Edwards created the line on Chic's Good Times.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yup, Doug Wimbush and he's got a lot of respect! Respect enough to have a sig bass from Ibanez.

[​IMG]

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I could be wrong but rappers delight was just a sample of good times, that would make the bassist Bernard Edwards. Doug Wimbush played on sugarhill gangs album that came out after rappers delight .

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

*Revisit: Were there even samplers in the late 70's? I change my story! I remember reading somewhere that Doug was asked if it was him playing and he said no but that it was played live by another band & bassist. The band was named 'Positive Force'.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yo Tony, actually Dougie played it on his '75 Jazz.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't so Chuck, It really sounds like the bass break of Chic's goodtimes to me, now if your takin bout sugarhill groove which also featured the late great Tito Puente that is chock full of thumps, pops double stops and all that god s**t a bass player likes to listen to. That for sure is Doug Wimbush. I have their first album (it's over momma nims) and there is some really funky stuff on it!

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    You know what? Considering when that song came out, Sylvia may not have even had a houseband at that time. Hmm, you may be right.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Did a whole lotta research and came up with a name. Chip Shearin is the cat's name who played the bassline on Rapper's Delight.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    You are the Groovemeister! Thanks! :bassist:

11. eh? on a previous thread you said Doug was in Positive force when i said they recorded the backing track :p

re.sample or not-
    listening closely,

the phrasing is slightly different (the end lick on good times is A,F#,A,G,F#,A, on Rappers delight it's D,F#,D,G,F#,A also the bass tone is different-
    Good Times sounds like a stingray, Rappers delight like a Fender of some sort.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)

"Thank you sir! May I have another?" :D :crying:

I accept my licks with pride! We woodchucks have cast iron buttocks!

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh, you had to bring that up, huh? I did think that it was Doug Wimbush until I read a thread at another forum. That's what prompted me to go deep with my research. I even e-mailed Mr. Shearin and am awaiting confirmation as I'd like to know for sure. ;)

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You're right, I did until I saw a thread at another forum where a cat said he knew Doug and asked him about it. Doug told him it wasn't him. But that he, Keith and the rest of the crew did everything else on Sugar Hill Records. Just not that one song. Another incarnation of that band was called 'Wood, Brass & Steel'!

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    EXACTLY

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    IMHO,I think al the **** that Doug did with Grand Master Flash&The Furious Five,Treacherous 3,Duke Bootie,Sequence,and the real late material of the Sugarhill Gang AFTER RappersDelight was his best stuff.

17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I may be a little foggy on this (I did turn 40 this year, after all :eyebrow: :bawl: ), but wasn't "White Lines" the iconic bass line that is credited to Doug Wimbish? I don't remember Doug stating in any interviews that he had anything to do with Rapper's Delight.:confused:

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm listening to it now and it's clearly not played the same[to be a sample]. If you listen to Bernard's version, right after the first three E notes, the following note is played just before the 1. On Rapper's Delight, that following note is played right on the 1. It's different!

Good Times Bassline
    Rapper's Delight Bassline

19. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Does anyone remember the song, "Everybody Dance" Benard Edwards of "Chic" played bass on that as well I believe, does anyone know what type of bass he played on that song?