1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rare - a rave review of pit band!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by RDUB, Jun 23, 2014.

1. I've been playing in the pit for the theatre show Edges: A Song Cycle. The show got a pretty good review the other day, but for probably only the second time in my experience, the reviewer raved about the band.

"And the unsung heroes of Edges? The band. The four musicians: Dereyk, Jeff, Jill, and Rob were absolutely incredible. Playing almost constantly for over an hour, they never missed a note and were as tight of an orchestra as I’ve seen for a long time in any level of production."

Feels pretty good! The only other time I can remember the band being mentioned was when I played the Rocky Horror Show a few years ago. One reviewer said that it wasn't until halfway through the production that he realized it was a live band, and not a recording.

2. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Very cool indeed. Nice to get recognized that way RDUB!
    I've seen a couple of really good pit bands over the years. Several years back I went to see "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" here in Philly. My old friend Dennis Michaels (a.k.a Fretlessboy here on the forum) was in the pit band. Those guys ROCKED! His tour rig was a WT-550 and D112XLT cab but they also had a killer FOH sound system. Great show - both acting and musical performance.

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Congrats! Nice to hear.

I play in the pit for 2 shows each year for a local chourus (about 75 to 100 members). They are quit good for non-professionals.

At the last show, some folks sat down within 2 rows of the "pit area". As I was tuning, I told them they might get a better view of the show if they sat toward the middle of the auditorium, and that the band wouldn't sound so loud. Their reply' "We get here early so we can get these seats. We love to watch the band."

I said thank you.

dralionux likes this.
  4. Dennis is an amazing player! I remember following his posts about the tour.

5. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Right - he did a thread while on the tour on the old Eden Forum.

6. Lately, he's been posting on Fandalism. Lots of clips of him playing and checking out different gear.

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yes! This kind of stuff just warms the cockles of my little heart. I'm glad you were appreciated. I play a pit orchestra gig once in a while and I love it. Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

8. Thanks for the kind words, Cliff. More shows coming!

9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Fandalism, that's a new one on me. I need to surf more!;)

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Bout time the pit band got some love.

When I was in college, I did some shows where the band was off in the wings - couldn't even see most of the stage, and the director treated us like dirt. I showed up opening night wearing an army trench coat, and was playing with my feet up on the piano. The cast was taking bets as to whether I was wearing anything on underneath. Since it was a small band, the director couldn't make me leave, since I was playing keys and bass.

Funny, I wasn't asked back to play for that theater group until that director left.

11. Well... there are some pit stories... One muscal director around here likes to perform the last act of the run with no pants. Fortunately, he's behind his piano for most of the show. There have also been occasions with long shows with many breaks between music where bottles have made the rounds...

These are the exceptions, though. Usually we have a great time, but wait til after the show to cut loose.

12. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Congrats! Having played in the pit myself over the years, I am very happy for your great review. Keep up the good work!

RDUB likes this.
  13. Back to the theatre tonight after a few nights off. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, and so ends the run. Its always a bittersweet thing, especially with a good show. The really good news: I have a pickup gig in July, and the singer needed a guitarist and drummer as well, so two of my pit mates are doing the gig with me. Life is good!

BassCliff likes this.