1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rare bass sale www.reinshagenbasssale.com

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by michaelstrange, Feb 16, 2013.

1. michaelstrange

michaelstrange Guest

Feb 15, 2013
    I am selling my magnificent cornerless, early 19th Century bass, previously owned by Herman Reinshagen the great player and teacher in NY and LA in the 1930's and 40's.

Check out the website I created to show the bass:
    www.reinshagenbasssale.com for photos, price, dimensions
    2010 Appraisal by Duane Rosengaard: $96,000 Asking price is $90,000

Tell friends and outstanding students about this opportunity. The bass is one of the great instruments in the world...beautiful beyond description, playable like no other, exquisite tone, power and depth.

Entirely private sale. Contact me at 510 499 3454 or through this forum.

2. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I did notice a mention of "offers being accepted at $90,000" on the site, but you'll need to post the asking price here.

3. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  4. michaelstrange

michaelstrange Guest

Feb 15, 2013
  5. michaelstrange

michaelstrange Guest

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks for telling me about the requirement to list price. This is a special bass and is in Berkeley, come and check it out. I note that you are in SF.

6. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thank you for the invitation. I am indeed in the SF bay area (Marin, to be exact). But my musical skills fall far, far, far short of the $90,000 instrument threshold. Perhaps if I invent a combination time machine/woodshed, hop in and set it for two hundred years.

Best of luck in your sale!

7. michaelstrange

michaelstrange Guest

Feb 15, 2013
    You know, this bass is really wonderful to behold. I didn't mean come to see it to necessarily buy it. I just meant come and feast your eyes, and your heart on a special instrument. You are more than welcome.

8. I've seen this bass! I played in youth orchestra with the guy you lent it to. I remember it sounded very great. I got to play on it for a quick minute, and I remember it being extremely easy to play. Good luck on your sale!

9. michaelstrange

michaelstrange Guest

Feb 15, 2013
    Hi Matt, Yes, I lent it to Marco. That must be the guy you're referring to. He played massive amounts of solo literature, and loved the bass for the facility it gave him in that endeavor. He played the bass a lot so it is recently very well played indeed. PLEASE LET PEOPLE KNOW that this bass is available for sale. I would appreciate it very much. I am thinking that a young, promising student (maybe even someone's star student) is the perfect buyer. Established players often have a wonderful bass that they love. A student starting out with hopes for a symphonic career might really like to know such a great instrument is available. It would be an investment in that student's future. This bass has not been on the market since the 30's because it wasn't sold when Reinshagen died in 1962, it was left to my family. (my mom was also a bass player) Thanks for your post. It was fun to read it and it was an endorsement of my claims about the bass! Feel free to contact me to "visit the bass" if you ever want to 510 499 3454 Best, Michael

10. Gotta love that it has handles! And carved ones, at that.

11. michaelstrange

michaelstrange Guest

Feb 15, 2013
    Hi, Yes the handle (only one) is on the player's side. It was carved by Herman Reinshagen who used to own the bass, and who was a wood worker with a shop in his home in North Hollywood after retiring from the NY Phil in the late 1930's. My website www.reiinshagenbasssale.com shows a close up photo of the handle which is lovely. Reinshagen also turned on a wood lathe several end pins of differing lengths which are for players of different heights!

12. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Absolutely beautiful!

13. michaelstrange

michaelstrange Guest

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks! Tell others about this bass being for sale. It's like an event in the bass world since it hasn't been on the market in over 70 years.