Rare bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My bass is a 4 string fender precision with fender lace sensor P pickups and an acoustic style pickup on the bridge. The bridge is made of wood and the body is semi hollow wood (I don't know what kind) It is a very rare model and I've never seen another one like it, I've even searched for one online. I think it was made in 1990 but they're not made anymore. If anybody can tell me more about it that would be great.
  2. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I know the bass you are talking about but I can't recall the name of it right now (something like Acoustic-Electric or AE Precision). I've seen a few of them in shops. They weren't the most popular sellers (I think Fender didn't really market them properly) but I wouldn't characterize them as truly "rare" basses, it's not a '51 P or anything. IIRC they were made in the early 1990's and Fender somewhat foolishly included them in the same line as a bunch of metal instruments. At any rate they were dropped and I don't think the sales were ever super spectacular. Now and again though you do come across some of them used and for sale. At any rate, who really cares about the rarity or whatever, as long as you like to play and like its tone then what else really matters? It's a bass not a mutual fund.
  3. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I just wanted some info on it because lots of times somebody sees it or I let them play on it they say something like "Whoa, this is awesome" or "I've never seen a P bass like this"
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah, I remember that they were marketed somehow under the "Heavy Metal" banner :confused: but I don't remember the exact wording. I do remember looking at them and thinking, "what does that have to do with heavy metal?" they looked nice enough though.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I used to own an A/E Precision. It has some interesting but weird features, as the string through body thing, which wasn't part of their regular features at the time and the fact that the neck was made in Japan while the body was made in the US.

While you might find that your bass is the bees' knees, I thought it sounded murky and indistinct. Also, the piezo pickup is too sizzly.

For a great sounding A/E, check out the Godin A4, when I realized a bass could sound that good, I couldn't let it go fast enough.

Then again, if you love it, keep it. IMO, the A/E P-Bass is medium, meaning it's not rare nor well done.
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    A local store here has about half a dozen of them, NOS.
  7. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Big Wheel:"Also, the piezo pickup is too sizzly."

I absolutely hate it;)