Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rare clips of Prince on bass from about 15 years ago

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by XIbanez4lifeX, Feb 16, 2006.

1. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
  2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    What the first clip really shows is that he's backed by a second bass player...

You'd have to come up with more than this to convince me that he's "amazing", which is a word I personally reserve for a select few. But he's competent, no question. And funky!

3. BenKrishman

BenKrishman

Feb 15, 2006
    Cool vids, the second one was a bit dissapointing as the video ends right as teh bass gets good.

4. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
    Yeah well it is hard because he doesnt play bass that often in public. He started playing bass in the late 70's and his first ten or so albums including all of The Times albums he is playing bass. I saw him play a slap bass solo in 2004. He can play as goods as anyone but instead he focuses more on guitar now a days.

5. When I saw Prince a few years ago he pulled out his white Thumb bass and played with Rhonda Smith playing in the background. Prince CAN really play....

6. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    There was a rareties package that came out a while back called "Old friends from the vault" or something like that.. Find it. Price takes a few bass breaks on the CD. One is on fretless with all kinds of the fretless tricks: harmonics, ghost notes etc.

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Prince is alot more than just competant on bass...just listen to the Dirty Mind album.