1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Rare color SX Essex bass project

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by frootbooty, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frootbooty

frootbooty Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I ran across this bass some time ago on ebay and bought it up because I've never seen an SX in this color before.
    I am not sure of the model, but I believe the pickups are different than other SX basses, and you will notice it has one more fret than standard SX j's. I later ran across a second one on ebay and purchased that one as well. I ended up picking both up for $180 each. I suppose there was a bit more interest in them because of their color.
    This bass is in nice condition and it weighs a ton. There is a small crack along the E string tuner, but the previous owner told me he had glued it. I haven't had any problems with it since I got it.
    I say project because when I try to get the action where I want it (very low), there is quite a bit of buzz on the 12th fret. I am of the opinion that either the 12th fret is low, or the 13th fret is high.
    I have absolutely no fretworking skills, although I am pretty good with a bow staff, so I haven't attempted to diagnose or fix the problem. The truss rod works properly. I actually removed the neck off my second SX like this due to the same problem, but I think it buzzed on the seventh fret. I will throw in the second neck as well, which is just like this one.
    Since these basses are so cheap, it's not like I'm scoring a bunch of money selling it. I'm more or less just trying to knock out some basses because I have gone over 25 again, so I'd like to get what I paid for this one, or something close to it, if I'm going to get rid of it. The original owner told me if I ever sold it, he would buy it from me. He ended up telling me he was broke and needed a couple weeks, and I never heard from him again.
    So, I would like to get $175 shipped CONUS for this bass and the second neck. I'll throw in the second neck plate as well.

Gillis005.

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Nice feet!

3. AND nice bass!

4. let me know if you ever want to do trades for parts

5. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    too bad it weighs a ton,

bump

6. frootbooty

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    10-10.5 lbs on the bathroom scale

7. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    yikes!! way too heavy for me.

nice looker though. good luck

8. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Trades?

9. frootbooty

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    No trades. I actually had a couple frets reset and the board leveled for $45. The bass plays incredibly now. I am closing this thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.