1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rare early SLM-era Ampeg SVT-18E (with JBL K151?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris 'Wighat' Jordan, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:52 AM.

1. I am refurbishing my Harvey-ravaged cabs one by one. I have never seen another cab like this. Very early SLM. It's 27" wide, got the caster cups in the top and no piping around the grill. It's the perfect cab for my equally uncommon SVT-100 head from the exact same period. So I take the grill off today and immediately notice the frame of the 18" driver is cast. Not necessarily to be expected from the average Eminence OEM driver. Pull it out and it's a JBL K151. Clearly, later versions of this cab have an OEM Eminence driver (86-178-01) in them. Later cabinets (with piping and a 175 watt rating) are essentially this cab turned on it's side so that they are 27" tall. Note: neither cabinet in question thus far to be confused with the SVT-18.

Given that the very first days of SLM production were marked by seat-of-the-pants cobbling together of cabs and heads, could this JBL driver be original? Note also there is no power rating on the jack plate.

@JimmyM @beans-on-toast @hodgy

20191012_102431. 20191012_102444. 20191012_102451. 20191012_102457. 20191012_102515. 20191012_102532.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 11:03 AM
  2. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Definitely not original.

Hopefully it's salvageable though!

Chris 'Wighat' Jordan likes this.
  3. Thank you for the response and encouragement. What makes you say this JBL is definitely not original?

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I would look for a date code on the speaker. If the date coincides with the cab’s manufacturing date it doesn’t prove that it was original. If the date doesn’t fit, it indicates that it was replaced.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I dont think a K series driver would be anything close to what MTI or SLM would use.

Someone toasted the driver and replaced it with whatever used driver they could find.

I dont know why a 70s driver would be in a 80s cabinet from the factory. late 80s at that

just like any 1x15 cab that got toasted when used with a 4x10. you could toast a 1x18 with a 4x10 as well.
    probably what happened. So the Eminence driver was replaced

Guitar Center has one of these cabs for sale at the moment. was thinking of getting it. But would want a pair and not sure how long it would take to find another

Good news is the 151 should sound rather good actually

6. Really? The 27" wide one with no piping?

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I think so. It has no piping for sure and is a 1x18.
    I was surprised to see it as well.

I know the 412HE isnt super super rare. but you dont see them often. another cab ive been wanting
    I should probably start buying cabs when they come up.

older 412s and 18" cabs i have been wanting lately.
    just seems whenever i see something, its not a good time. then when i want something its never around

8. I've always wanted one of those 412HE's also. Scarce. And what's weird is there is a product sheet for it that shows it with ports but any one I've ever seen for sale seems to be sealed.

If you're not going to buy it, would you please point me to that SVT-18E?

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yeah listing is Gone :(

just a SVT18 with piping is not seen too often.

there is another one up with piping though.
    either way same thing. i should just get it. even knowing it will be awhile before finding another for a pair.

i didnt know there was a actual rare version . i thougt someone just yanked the piping off
    and was hesitant as well cause i would have to add the piping lol

i do like the all black cabinets with white piping though.

10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    actually yeah i was going to send it too you.
    not showing.

there is one with piping thats been up for awhile. if you want that.

11. I see the ones with the piping fairly often, so you would be able to pick up a second one easily.

12. Just to be clear, the cab shown in this thread is the SVT-18E. The SVT18 is a different cabinet.

13. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    For Sure.

Yeah I ment SVT18E its a better looking wider cabinet for me.

Im not too up on the production run timelines. I thought it was a 80s cabinet.
    Then apparently they did another run of them around 2000

last one i seen for sale, which had piping and a lower classic badge was super super pretty. not to beat up or least typical dirty vinyl . now im thinking it might have been a later version

14. Piping came in 1989:

Timeline of changes to stand-alone Ampeg cabinets

15. Great suggestion and check this out! Handwritten on back of cone:

K1518
    5-19-86

Doesn't prove it's original, but the timing is certainly spot on. I could see SLM having just bought Ampeg and not having had time yet to develop OEM drivers with Eminence. Totally possible they used an off-the-shelf bass guitar-specific 18 lke this JBL.

Not sure what manufacturer MTI used.

I'm wondering if the K151 is a good fit for this cab. Also what about the Carvin PS118 for a replacement driver? It's on sale for $100 and Carvin uses it in a bass guitar cab with nearly identical internal volume and frequency response to this Ampeg cab.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Peavey makes an 18” speaker as well.

1801-8 LT BW™ | Peavey

17. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yeah. I've got two Peavey 118 sub cabs from January 1987. :)

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd tend to agree considering the timeline. Got no idea what I'd stick in there instead since 18"s are completely foreign to me except the ones in the Acoustic 301 and 361, whatever they are.

19. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    Acoustic used Cerwin Vega.

20. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Gauss, Altec Lansing, JBL, EV, Cerwin Vega, McCauley, Peavey, Yamaha, PAS, and Gollehon all made 18" drivers in the 80's.
    Turbosound made 18" and 24" drivers as well.

Personal opinion.... 18's require a cast or forged frame, unless they operate facing straight up.
    When vertical, or facing down, the stamped baskets seem to deflect too much from magnet weight and high pressure, causing voice coil rubbing and early failure.