Rare effects whose prices skyrocketed after they got discontinued?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Dec 4, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I just sold my Akai Unibass on Ebay because I didn't really have any use for it now that we have two guitar players and because I really didn't care for its artificial-sounding distortion sound.

Thing is, the guy who won the auction went as far as to bid 112 Euros for the UB, which was quite a bit more than I paid for it even though its AC adaptor and the box it came in fell victim to a move. :eek:

I also hear the value of the Deep Impact pretty much doubled recently.
    Do you guys know any other pedals that go for insanely high prices now that they're not made any more?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You didn't sell it for much.
    I sold my UB for about 150 a few months ago. Bought 80 on the bay 3 years ago :).
    They easily go for over 200 $.

It's all about the hype, not quality. Sometimes there's a buzz around an effect and prices go up.
    The Ibanez TubeScreamer is a good example. It was just a basic overdrive pedal. There are hundreds of copies around that sound better, still prices kept up.
  3. original Ampeg Scramblers go for quite a bit

But they've recently reissued it, so i dont know what affect thats had on the price

I cant remember the name, Tube Screamer maybe? either way, its an old Ibanez pedal, that goes for more that it cost new i think
  4. SpanishHarlem

Nov 29, 2005
    Alesis bitrman. For awhile MF couldn't give them away at $30 - now they're going for $120-$175 on ebay. Great little unit, but not worth almost 2bills. I just wish I'd had the cash to buy more than one when they were cheap...

The Zoom analog pedals is another good example, especially the UltraFuzz, but also the trimetal (my fav of the bunch). For awhile prices were over $100, but have calmed back down abit.

Also the DOD/Digitech PDS series, especially the 3000 and 8000.
  5. BBE Stinger. Only produced a few years in the 80's. Essentially a Sonic Maximizer in a pedal. I bought 2 for $100 NOS. Sold them on ebay for $240 and $210....after the Sonic Stomp was released.

6. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Marshall Shredmaster's go for quite a bit, and I can think of a few others like the Mu-Tron 3 originals, the Deep Impact (as already mentioned), and the Boss FT-2's go for a bit too..
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    *cough* lovetone *cough, cough*
  8. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    DigiTech Bass Whammy...
    got mine for 198€ including shipping, but I've seen them going for 400$ on the bay...
  9. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Lets see Lovetone, Mu-tron ( the originals not the new reissue), Way Huge , Zvex( sometimes), OLder boss pedals made in japan, DOD (most of them are crap but as soon as someone famous uses one to record or they discountinue them they're outragously priced ex. Gonkulator guy from incubus used it now they go for $120 and up when they couldn't give them away at guitar center a while back)
  10. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Boss' slow gear goes for tooooooooooo much money, sob. Don't think it was made since the late 80s.
  11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Maestro Brassmasters go for $800-$1200 now.
  12. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I see. Well, I might've scored more if I still had the box and the AC adaptor, but oh well, I wasn't planning to get rich by selling the UB anyway. I do admit what it does can be kind of useful, I seem to be the only one who thinks it sounds pretty bad, though.
  13. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Crapola, I guess I should have held on to the Bitrman a bit longer.
  14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also the Pefftronics Randomatic, and various units with the Oberheim label.
  15. Pearl made some very nice stompboxes in the 80s. I had an analog delay that was sweet. It got kind of glitchy after some rough use & I tossed it(I imagine now that it might have been fixable :rollno: ). Anyway, these things turn up on ebay at 2-3x the original value. I'd love to find one at a garage sale or something. Seems like there are no more sleepers of this sort anymore...
  16. hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    quite all the akai pedals were about 150/250euros/$$, five years ago, and we all know as AKAI has decided to close the pedals' department, the unibass, the deep impact, fallen in price and now they are quite collectors.

The same thing occured for the akai G-drive and the Hexacomp that i had for 60euros each instead of let's say 200euros a few times before, and for now, i'm very happy with both.

I should have bought more than one of each, (and i hesitated to do so :bawl: ) to make money, but anymore, you know what? I'm happy :hyper: :bassist:
  17. bought my autowah back around 1983 (the orange one). Paid $40.00 new. Now see them going on the 'bay for about $150.00. I gave it away in 1993-1994, had no use for it. :(

The Maxon AF9 Auto Filter (same thing as AF201) goes now for about $185.00 new. Old technology collecting a premium price. Probably costs 20 bucks to make. :spit:
  18. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Pretty much the same with every pedal on the market, unfortunately. Most pedals will cost around $20-30 to make, and will be sold for about $60-70.

I mean take the price of the MXR Micro Amp...Just a clean boost with 2 knobs and a tiny circuit. Seen them brand new on eBay with BIN of like £99 (around $170). It probably cost less than £20 to make. It's unbelievalbe.