Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rare find, just might blow your mind!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Dec 31, 2001.

1. On my way home last Friday, I passed Chelsea guitars, a very well known used shop here in NYC, and what I saw made me look twice. There in the window was a black 1964 Precision with a rosewood board, a tortoise~shell pickguard and an extra split p-bass pickup installed near the bridge.
    Not so intriguing, until you read the note that's shoved through the strings. I don't remember the words verbatim, but it said it was the bass that belonged to Billy Joel's bass player, and was used on all the early songs. If I remember correctly, Billy's bass player was Doug Stegmeyer, who sadly took his own life about 10 years ago. Now, I wouldn't think these guys would lie about something like this, do you? Just a little tid~bit I figured some of you might like to know about.

The price they're asking: $2,100.00

Happy New Year everyone.
    Mike J.

2. Wow,that is pretty cool!So are you going to buy her Mike? :D

3. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    Im pretty sure that bass was going on ebay awhile back, there was even a thread talking about how it was a good deal but no one seemed interested. I can't seem to find it, though....

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it was not modified, that bass would probably go for almost twice that much. Be a nice bass for someone with the $$$.

5. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Doug Stegmeyer used a 68 Telecaster bass, maple body and board with an extra pbass pickup...named "Blondie." If you go to facebook, type in his name and there is a page created for him that has photos of the basses he used back then live and to record with. Nice page!

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Bumping an 11-year old thread has got to be a record.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

I generally don't like to agree with you, but you might be right on this one.:p:D

8. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Nah...I sorted by date in reverse order, once. I bumped a build thread by some guy named "LeoF" who said he had this new bass that would someday "replace the upright". He called it a Precision Bass or something like that.

I clicked the ":eyebrow:" and said, "whatever, dude..."

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    LOL! :)

10. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I didn't know that this site had content that went back ten years. That is pretty impressive in it's self.

11. Hahaha I might just have to sig that:D

12. I actually like reading the old threads. If anything just to compare how much the gear, AND people's opinions/outlook have changed over the years. I've seen a lot of people contradict themselves by reading their old vs. new responses on various topics (including myself). Besides, don't y'all ever get tired of reading the ol' "Which flats should I put on my P-Bass?" threads? :D I, for one, like rehashing the old stuff. Especially now, since I'm getting up in years, and forget more than I learn.....

13. Glad you bumped it smcd. I couldn't care less how old the original thread was, the fact that it died on the vine so soon astounds me. Stegmeyer is a HUGE influence on me, and considering how many mega-hits he played on, I can't believe a forum of BASS PLAYERS would let the subject die like that.

When I was teaching myself bass guitar, there were several Billy Joel albums that served as the equivalent of a couple of course credits at a music college, featuring Stegmeyer's bass playing. These informed my decisions as a musician and bass player.

If it was Stemeyer's bass in the OP, I wish I owned it, but I do remember references to, and pictures of, "Blondie."

14. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Happy New Year to you too Michael!