Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rare Guild jaco signature bass??!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowfrez, Mar 12, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    not really a bad looking bass- but a Jaco sig? with frets?.. and 5 strings? i wish they'd just leave the man's spirit rest. I bet there were a zillion deals a craps going on when jaco was hitting the hard times- i know some people had to see the end coming and thought about cashing in, im by no means accusing Guild, and i know he did have a Pilot for a minute, but i couldve keep my Tobias Sig 5 #404 and said - " bass once played by Jaco" which he did,, and almost broke in half, he played a lot of south Florida bassists' basses- what do you think- about $20,000 for a bass Jaco sat in on? maybe i can get it back. Enough rant- God bless you wherever you are, Jaco

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think Jaco did use some five-string bass with high C on some recording, and he used fretted basses too. Check out the latest BP Jaco issue. Plus that bass seems very Jazz-ish so it could actually be prototype for Jaco sig. After all, doesen't Jeff Berlin have cheap signature series too? The price seems bit out of place, tho.

3. Adrian, i do know what you mean about seeing the end coming. When i first saw that Jaco video, Modern Electric Bass, He looked very strung out and probably on something. He also seemed to struggle playing.

i also showed this video to a friend of mine when new him in the early years down in florida, and he said he couldn't bear to watch the rest of it because he was in such rough shape.

yes, god bless him wherever he is!!

4. 450 bucks for a one-of-a-kind bass ? yeah rite :D

5. :D yea, that's what i said........

6. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

he seemed to struggle in the lessons, but he and Scofeld rip it up when they jam....

7. TRUE!!! :D

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    its been said that Jaco had already been down before that video was shot
    its also been said that the video was shot during a particularly "clear" time for Jaco- after having struggled- he was sometimes more together than others- yuo can surely see its not Jaco at his best, but even then, he smoked the rest of us.. and when he was ON?... NOBODY has even come close. to this day.
    He really was a phenomenon. everything was there. tone. ridiculous chops, time feel and groove to die for, and he wrote his ass off. A phenomenon, indeed.

9. What I heard from a guy in New York who actually saw him in that basketball court where he hangs out alot is that during the shot of the video, the producer literally picked him up on the street. They rented him a hotel room, get him freshened up, took a shower, and sober for entire day, and shoot the video...out of respect for the cat I guess.

And notice at one point in the video, he even admitted himself getting rusty, not being able to play what he used to be able to play effortlessly. When he was asked about his thought on the influence he has towards bass player everywhere, he answered...."Well, give me a gig man!"

Why do people with such influence to the music world ends up being dead so young all the time? Lenny Breau, Jimmy Hendrix, Miles Davis etc. They sold their soul??

:(

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Miles was 55 when he died, not old, but not all that young for someone who did all the drugs he did.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That's no one of a kind, it MIGHT be a proto but it looks like a regular old production run Pilot 5 string to me. Pilots came in two versions, a standard model (600 series) with EMG pickups and dot inlay and the fancier model (900 series) with Bartolinis and block inlays.

Before he died, Jaco had a brief endorsement deal with Guild. They ran ads showing him playing a 4-string Pilot (the old style with pickguard) through a Hartke 4-10 (some may recall that Guild distributed Hartke for a few years, the early cabinets do say Guild on them).

My guess is that the "JJ" serial number is for the pickups used since 4 string Pilots were all PJ style. The Jaco story is bull, if it sells for about $500 it's still a very nice deal, Pilots are grossly undervalued but excellent players.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, Bidding's up to $1000 when I looked.

Man, and I sold my old Pilot 5 for less than $400!:rolleyes:

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Miles Davis was 65 years old when he died in September of '91. He was born in May of '26.