1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rare (I Think) Lawsuit Era Bass Raven SG Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heytrid, Apr 4, 2009.

1. heytrid

heytrid

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary AB
    So I went into a pawn shop today and found this, cleaned it up and it looks great, needs a new nut, all electronics work on it as they should.

It is a "Raven", plywood body, guess they were imported into Canada and sold as a low price/beginner instrument, it is short scale.

Here are some photos after I cleaned it up.

Easy string spacing adjustment since the whole thing is threaded

[​IMG]

Original wiring, no date stamings on the pots.

[​IMG]

Body Shot, as you can notice on the top contour there is a dent, other then that the rest is in really good shape with some of the finish being knocked off the lower contour. cleans up nice

[​IMG]

From what I can tell from information it is roughly 30-40 years old, looks good for being that old, must have sat somewhere for a very long time. Also they were built in japan by ibanez from what I have read.

Anyone have any idea what this might be worth in a sense, i know that is all up to who is going to buy it, to me it was worth the $59.00

2. Wow!
    Looks great man! Nice find!
    I'm looking at a higher end lawsuit EB-3 right now...
    doesn't help with the GAS! lol
    Peace
    :bassist:

3. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    Raven - I forgot about those. IIRC, they were sold at department stores (seem to recall it in the Simpsons catalog).

A friend of mine's first electric was a Raven Les Paul. I'm thinking that he got it around 1971, and I think that he still has it.

Wasn't a bad guitar, not great, not bad. Certainly worth more than $59.

js

4. cool.. i really like the sg style.. still looking for a body to stick that epi neck i've got sitting in the closet on.

i really like the bridge design on that.. although it looks to me like you've got the string spacing a smidge to tight...

5. heytrid

heytrid

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary AB
    yeah it is not setup at all, just cleaned it up and threw the strings on and tuned them, sinc ethe nut is so worn it buzzes on the first fret of almost every string.

I just think it is great since I was thinking lately how I wanted an old guitar, not a real "collectors item" like a vintage eb or even jazz/p bass but just something different and old.

The finish is the part I find the best, it is so crude, even the cheapest instruments i see today are more refined (sanding, jagged edges)

in the end I think it is great :) sounds ok too when run through a big muff.. clean it has... we will call it a signature sound :)

6. As the used to say in those catalogues: "famous style...". You need a Garnet or a Pine amp to make it a Canadian combo. ;)