Rare Mexican Jazz with Ash Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WoodyG3, May 23, 2004.

1. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Today at the local Guitar Center I saw a rare natural finish Ash bodied Mexican Jazz Bass. It had a maple fretboard to boot. It played like a dream and sounded very nice. The sound had a little extra growl. I've never seen a Mexican Jazz like this. I'm kinda' wishing I would have taken it home with me.

Also, I played probably twenty different basses today, mostly Fender Jazz, and well over half of the time I liked the tone of the Mexican basses better than the American. I'll also say, though, that the American basses around here are pretty well picked over and there's not much selection. Maybe the best of the American basses are sitting in someone's home rather than on the wall of the Guitar Center.

Anyway, has anyone else seen a Mexican Jazz like I described? The natural finish alone has got to be a good selling point for a lot of people, and it seems like a smart marketing move for Fender to make some interesting Mexican basses like this. Maybe I'll run by the Guitar Center after work tomorrow... ;)