Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rare old Ibanez, way cool

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yesterday I went to a new guitar shop in the area. I heard the new guy is exellent with vintage repairs and I took him my Jazz Bass to have some neck work done.
    That's when I saw this old Ibanez there...ultra rare to ever see a stain or natural finish. The sound is incredibly piano-like and huge, and I just had to have it. It's a '79, walnut and maple neckthrough, and excellent+++ condition, and it was a great price.

Ibanez sure doesn't make them like they used to.
    Anybody else got old Ibanez pics?

[​IMG]

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    closeup.
    [​IMG]

3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    wow! :eek:

that is gorgeous!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Sweet bass!

I'm going to check out a fretless 5 string '86 roadstar/roadster on saturday, fongers crossed that it's as good a find as the one you've netted!

6. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes

I'll keep my fongers crossed for you.

;)

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    aha, never noticed that :p ;)

Thanks anyway though ;)

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got a '79 walnut MC-924, it's great! I was not aware that this finish was "ultra-rare", I've seen several. The finish in JMX's pic looks more unusual to me.

9. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    At my local music store they are selling a fretless Ibanez Musician with the same wood pattern as your Ibanez, clear finish, gold hardware, is $350 a good price for it?

10. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Check out our thread from the other day:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99937

That's a nice bass! It's a Musician isn't it? One sold the other day on a website for almost $600. The old Ibanez's are going to be collectors items someday!

11. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
  12. Actually my teacher uses that bass. I love the sound, even though its older than I am, he said in his 25 years of playing bass he hasn't seen a need to buy a new one, and I would have to aggree. If I found one I would have to give serious thought into buying it, even if I can't eat for a while. I love all the crazy switches and stuff too :bassist:

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

1979 Studio Bass. OHSC, some dings, very well built, a niceplaying instrument.
    [​IMG]

14. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Nice score on the Ibanez.
    I wish I could find something like that.

Congrats.

15. sweet looking Ibanez, here's another example of don't judge an ibanez by its ibanez

16. LordHar

LordHar

Mar 31, 2003
    Here is a 'rare' one from a local shop:

Harry.

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
  18. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    I don't know if it's the P-bass watching me from across the room, or the infectious throat that's keeping me home from school, but right now i would do almost anything to have that bass.

Way to get me GASed up.