1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rare old Ibanez, way cool

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yesterday I went to a new guitar shop in the area. I heard the new guy is exellent with vintage repairs and I took him my Jazz Bass to have some neck work done.
    That's when I saw this old Ibanez there...ultra rare to ever see a stain or natural finish. The sound is incredibly piano-like and huge, and I just had to have it. It's a '79, walnut and maple neckthrough, and excellent+++ condition, and it was a great price.

Ibanez sure doesn't make them like they used to.
    Anybody else got old Ibanez pics?

[​IMG]

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    closeup.
    [​IMG]

3. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    wow! :eek:

that is gorgeous!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Sweet bass!

I'm going to check out a fretless 5 string '86 roadstar/roadster on saturday, fongers crossed that it's as good a find as the one you've netted!

6. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes

I'll keep my fongers crossed for you.

;)

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    aha, never noticed that :p ;)

Thanks anyway though ;)

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got a '79 walnut MC-924, it's great! I was not aware that this finish was "ultra-rare", I've seen several. The finish in JMX's pic looks more unusual to me.

9. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    At my local music store they are selling a fretless Ibanez Musician with the same wood pattern as your Ibanez, clear finish, gold hardware, is $350 a good price for it?

10. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Check out our thread from the other day:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99937

That's a nice bass! It's a Musician isn't it? One sold the other day on a website for almost $600. The old Ibanez's are going to be collectors items someday!

11. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
  12. Actually my teacher uses that bass. I love the sound, even though its older than I am, he said in his 25 years of playing bass he hasn't seen a need to buy a new one, and I would have to aggree. If I found one I would have to give serious thought into buying it, even if I can't eat for a while. I love all the crazy switches and stuff too :bassist:

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

1979 Studio Bass. OHSC, some dings, very well built, a niceplaying instrument.
    [​IMG]

14. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Nice score on the Ibanez.
    I wish I could find something like that.

Congrats.

15. sweet looking Ibanez, here's another example of don't judge an ibanez by its ibanez

16. LordHar

LordHar

Mar 31, 2003
    Here is a 'rare' one from a local shop:

Harry.

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
  18. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    I don't know if it's the P-bass watching me from across the room, or the infectious throat that's keeping me home from school, but right now i would do almost anything to have that bass.

Way to get me GASed up.