1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rare or hard to find gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeyMikey, Mar 31, 2009.

1. HeyMikey

HeyMikey

Dec 28, 2005
    I was wondering what amps, cabs, combos, etc. are considered "rare" or
    "hard to find" items. I suppose most of us are always looking for that special item to get our hands on but can never seem to find it for sale. I would think an item is rare due to very limited production or is hard to find due to being a collectors item or maybe being a one of a kind thing.
    Can you name a specific amp, cab, etc. that is rarely available for sale and if so, what do you think it would sell for. Do you have a piece of equipment that you would never sell no matter what.
    I hope this isn't a stupid thread. I don't post very often.

2. Yamaha thirty115B

Probably sells for ~$100 or less :D

3. Our bands guitarist has a Trace Elliot V8, our GUITARIST!!!

That must answer your question, he dunno what he'd sell it for, but i want it to go with my original Hot Tubes pedal :) (like what kim from sonic youth uses) i like to think thats a bit rare, google only finds like, 2 of them... thats just pictures.

Also, our singer has a Trace elliot guitar stack, made before gibson took over. Never seen another 1 of them with both cabs... they blast them! they Knew what they was doin before gibson took over. Politics! that n religion will destroy us all!

4. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    A Maestro Ring Modulator.

5. The Lirpa 1 amp is hard to find.

There was a review in Audio Magazine about 25 years ago, then nothing was heard of it since.

6. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Stuff that I've built?

7. Also, a Canadian brand of amps called Sceptre. They were made in Hamilton, and I think were generic 50-100 tube amps. My dad has a Dual Bass Marauder with a matching 2x12" cab, and we happened upon a 2nd head for free! I'd say perhaps $200-300?

8. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Um lets see. This...

Picture430.

especially when it has a matching 8x10
    Picture426.
    or two..

One of these
    Ashdown009.
    SVT 8Pro

9. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    'scribed

10. beat thee to the V8 laad ;-)

I WILL have one in the next 2 weeks.

11. I've seen just about every version of the Sunn Concert and Coliseum amps online, in person, on Ebay, except the mid-late 70's era Coliseum. With the black and red face, simple controls, etc... I've never seen one online or anywhere until the other day...

http://cgi.ebay.com/THUNDEROUS-70s-SUNN-O-Coliseum-Bass-Head-NICE_W0QQitemZ300304244283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item300304244283&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Other than that, Sunn and Acoustic 4x15 cabs are rare, which makes me sad, as I'd love to own 1 or 5 of them... :ninja: Same with the Peavey 3620 (2x18/2x10 in one cab).

12. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Here's a couple that aren't amps, cabs, etc..

Wal.
    Wal
    Picture448_edited.
    78 Ibanez Black Eagle

13. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Seymour Duncan amps. The guitar amps are a little more readily available but still hard to find.

These amps were made in Santa Barbara Ca and are a little easier to find closer to that area.

For the time the amps were pretty top of the line as far as tone and features went. The produced a variety of different models through the late 80's some time into the 90's I believe. Although the amps were great amps they weren't without they're own problems. Most of the guitar amps used Modules that contained a printed circuit board and a tube. The modules were used to get different sounds from the same amp. This was a primitive early version on the modeling amps we have today. Unfortunately the modules would creep out of the sockets causing no output from the amp. This could obviously be bad in a gig situation and cumbersome to check. The guitar amps also used a feature that allowed you to turn the tube output down in stages from maximum wattage to 5 watts to allow the user to get desired breakup at whatever stage level he needed.

The bass amps were a little bit more straight forward. They were all solid state unlike the guitar amps and had a great modern tone to boot. There were various models that all more or less had the same features with different wattages. A few high end models were "stereo" with Bi amp compatibility and matching Seymour Duncan cabinets for this purpose.

Unfortunately they didn't quite take off either. The amps had very strict tolerances for the electronics and the manufacturer of the components used for these amps sent components that weren't within spec for the amps. That lead to failure in the amps and frustrating trips to amp techs or the factory for warranty repair.

Seymour Duncan seized production on amplification despite having endorsements from big names like Jeff Beck and for awhile would deny that they ever made an amp. Now they are a little better about support although the amps and parts are pretty hard to find.

I have never seen a price on one because I have never seen one for sale. I have only seen a few other ones in person.

There's your history lesson for those who care.

14. I have played some pre gibson and gibson era TE tube amps. They both rocked. And the one I have, there was very little difference between the models. (infact, the only real difference was one had a mute switch, the other had a half power switch, both had triode/pentode switchs).

I can't remember which mine is. I think it may be pre-gibson, as I think the newer ones had the half power switch instead of the mute switch. However, I changed that. Got my tech to use the mute switch as a cathode ground lift on a pair of tubes.

Pretty awesome having a guitar amp that can go from 100 watts, to 50 watts to 25 watts (ish) :)

Don't have the matching cabs, but have seen a few of them. Quite happy with my old peavey 412 for that tho !

More on topic. TE V8 gets a vote. The TE hexavalve is pretty rare aswell (i think), not seen many of those. Def. on the gas list!

15. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    I'd love to get my hands on an Eden VT-.75.

Cheers,
    Duff2

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have one. ;) I think it is the review sample. :D

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Speaker cabinet wise the EA VL208 has to be in the top 5 want list, to many players it's number one!

Lucky me I have 2 of them

EA-MBministack-doc.

They now have the MB LM II Limited Edition head on top which may become a future rarity.

MBII.

:) ... It was the VL208 that actually got me into making speaker cabs.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not the rarest of the rare, but Ampeg reissued the b15 as the B15r, only a few years worth of production, so not too many to start with, and I rarely see one for sale. I want one.

19. Rare? I can't even find a pic of the pro-sumer version of this 350 watt rms Tube beauty!
    mc3500a.

I remember Blind Faith using 8 of them for their PA.

20. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    A versatone panoflex bass combo from the 60's.
    I don't have one but have been actively looking for about 4 years now. Some day...