Rare(?) SX P/J on Ebay ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Jan 30, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Didn't it have a maple Fingerboard? :p

Nice lookin bass regardless...
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im sure they probably came in myriad wood combinations somewhere in the world. Never know where these things come from sometimes ;)
  4. centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    I think that's the natural finish that the p/j bass has. It should be out in a few weeks. I've been looking for a p/j bass with a satin neck finish, and this seems to be one of the only ones, so I emailed asking which of their basses have a satin finish, and this is the only p/j they offer in satin. I know I shouldn't have said that since now everyones going to buy it (doh), but I thought I'd share this info with you guys since you're all so helpful.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    "Rare Essex" is a contradicition in terms.

I mean, are there people collecting these basses?
  6. Occasionally, "rare" != $$$$.
  7. "rare" and "collectible" are not synonomous.

"rare" simply means that there aren't a lot around

after all, people don't go around collecting "rare" diseases :D
  8. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
  9. RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    I was at Rondo last week I saw one there how "rare" can it be?
  10. centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    Is the one in the picture this one?

If it is, does it have a rosewood fretboard and satin neck?
  11. machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    hi, i dont want to browse a zillion pages in the essex tread. so i'll ask it here.
    how is the neck profile on these sx p-basses?
    i have a richwood p-copie and i really like the profile on those. its rather thick. (don't like the ibbie thin profiles).
  12. RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    I believe it was that one. Didnt see one with a rosewood neck. Definately dont know about the satin neck.
  13. ...yeah...and the guy selling it says he just bought it a few weeks ago... Must be a few around, I would think.

Yup; in the "sales" business, "rare" in the description=more $$$ in the sale, sometimes. (At least to the uninformed buyer.)
  14. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Good point.:D
  15. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Folks -

Stop tripping, okay? :rollno:

I only called it rare because the model is unusual. (The reason I put the question mark was to question the appropriateness of the term "Rare.") Perhaps the proper word would have been "scarce" or "hard to find."

You know and I know that the SX basses are not collectables and that wasn't what I was trying to imply. I was merely bringing attention to a bass that some people have wanted but had become unavailable.
  16. Wow, that SX is looking mighty fine... and even better in my head which is where it is showing off a pair of BassLines, BadAss Bridge, new pots, knobs, and tuners... which are all black... *drool*

17. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    There's no tripping. No one's tripping. Lower shields, set phasers to "off".
  18. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm with blackbird on this one. I mean, "rare SX"? What's next
    "Special Edition Collectable One of a Kind Rogue"?
  19. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Yeah, please be careful of the use of the word rare and its application as a term of possible value to a musical instrument.When I hear "rare Essex bass" its ROTF time.