1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rare Trans Red Alder 1991 Musicman Stingray 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mausc, Aug 3, 2012.

1. mausc

mausc

May 12, 2011
    What we have here is a 1991 Stingray 5. During a short time the early 90s Ernie Ball made their translucent finished basses out of alder rather than the typical ash. This was a similar practice used by Fender (and still is).They have since returned to an almost-exclusive ash manufacturing process. Alder is one of the premier soundwoods that is extensively used by the higher end guitar makers (like Sadowsky) because of its sound qualities, it sounds warmer than the very crisp swamp ash or northern ash. Throw the rosewood fingerboard on top and this is one of the warmest sounding Stingrays ever. Its easy to get a nice Jazz-bass growl and with the proper pickup selection and a roll off the highs and you have that warm P-bass sound. But don't worry that this is just a little too feminized, put the pickup in humbucker mode and you get the nice scooped Musicman punch. It slaps nicely too. Weighs in at 10 lbs.

I checked with Ernie Ball and found that this bass (SN 052172) was manufactured on 09/12/91, does indeed have an alder body, and was sold at Select Guitars in Norwalk CT. The grain of alder is a bit softer than ash so it doesn't pop quite as brightly, but it is also a darker wood. This bass is more of a merlot color than bright red. There is quite a bit of birdseye and flame on the back of the neck.

Overall it's a very beautiful instrument. It has been played and is 21 years old, so there are a few VERY MINOR scratches (ZERO belt rash) but I safely call this bass 9 out of 10. There aren't many of this vintage around as nice as this one.

Comes with original hard shell case. Just got a new set of strings and professional setup. It comes ready to play!

You won't be disappointed. $1200

IMG_0327.

IMG_0328.

IMG_0315.

IMG_0314.

IMG_0318.

2. dostavkausa

dostavkausa Snowflake, AZ

Nov 8, 2009
    Snowflake,AZ
    Hi I am interested in this bass please send an invoice to my paypal account for quick payment
    Thanks,
    Stan

3. emart

emart Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Bump for a beauty. I have one just like it, except with a birdseye maple fingerboard. Great tone with the alder body. GLWTS.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Isn't this sold? It SHOULD be. Great deal!