Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rare Vintage amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zentner, Nov 26, 2003.

1. A few weeks ago, there was a topic regarding the Fender 400PS, as well as some other vintage all tube monsters.

Could anyone who's got one, or even a picture of a vintage bass system please post some pics of some of their huge, oldschool, all tube bass amps pleeease?

Yes, i did several searches, and couldn't find the particular topic i was looking for, so could ya post some pics of your HUGE old bass amps?

~Zentner

2. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Hopefully someone on this forum can post a pic of the old Acoustic 360. It was solid state, but I used one many years ago, and it had a huge tone. A few years back I saw Bryan Adams opening for the Rolling Stones, he was playing bass through a restored 360. I've read somewhere they've been re-introduced, but I have'nt seen what the new model looks like. I believe the amp section was located within the cabinet which also housed a horn loaded 18" speaker. The head was for volume and EQ adjustments.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    here's an "unofficial site"...

I may have seen the reissues, but I can't remember where.

Acoustic web site

4. Maybe not rare but it is ;) the "quintessential" bass amp.

[​IMG]

5. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Now, IMO that's THE amp of bass amps. One day, one will be mine. Oh yes, one will be mine!

K.O.A., is that the actual pic of your amp? Man, that thing looks like new!

6. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Thanks for the site, gfab333! I also found a pic of the model 136, which was the second amp I owned. It brought back some fond memories of jamming in my garage with my school friends. The poor thing was barely loud enough to keep up with the drummer & guitarist but it was an improvement to my first amp-a 45 watt Vox Pacemaker guitar amp! :bassist:

7. Yep! And thanks! When I spotted it I knew I had to jump. Many miles and a few ;) dollars later she was all mine. Definitely get one. Check out the output tube below. All the tubes are original. That's a Tung-Sol 6550 made the 25th week of 1973. Rock On! :bassist:
    [​IMG]

8. Here's my '71 Traynor Custom Special... one of the few competitors for the rig above or a Marshall stack and a pair of Leslies. Purchased new in '71:

[​IMG]

Hard to tell, but those are the 8x10" and folded horn 18" cabs. This rig IS huge.

9. Another view makes it easier to tell...

[​IMG]

10. Again, I guess these aren't "rare", unless you consider how long it would take to find 'em in this condition. Here's my '64 Showman and cab with two original JBL D140F speakers.

[​IMG]

11. This is the oldest piece of gear I own. It's a 1965 Ampeg SB-12.

The cool thing about it, is that there's no cable connecting the amp to the cabinet like there is in B-15s and later SB-12s. Those two latches are the only thing connecting the two parts. I think they changed this for safety reasons, but I have yet to be electricuted.

It's a great sounding amp. I've used it on many gigs, and it works fine if the volume is low enough.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In the 70's, I had a 400 PS.

You got this 435W head full of 6550's and three-18" cabs like the one pictured below -

[​IMG]

On a wooden stage, it literally "walked" around. I'd look back during a song and it would be a few feet from where it was originally set.

Later in that decade, I downsized to a Sunn Coliseum with two JBL 18"s.

Now I have a slipped spinal disc...:rolleyes:

13. Not really that rare, but cool. I recently found another matching 2x15 cab in a pawn shop, so now I can run the full 4x15 setup with a massive 55 Watts of power!

Chris

[​IMG]

14. You must put up a pic of that.

15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Is that 8-10 sealed.? Can you give some details..? Please..??

16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

This was my second amp. (1st was an Essex Bass Combo) I had both cabs. It was louder with 2, but not loud enough for rock. Tone was great, volume was so so. I sold it cheap, Then I got the Acoustic.

17. Yep, the sound is great, but the volume is only good for jamming or recording with unamplified drums and a 20-30 Watt guitar amp. But, that's actually the best setup for playing and volume level to my ears, so it works out good. I've also got this head if I want to go louder - V4B, shown here with a Fender PS300 4x12:
    [​IMG]

Chris

18. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I used a Traynor Custom Special for years, mostly with a Traynor YC-810 (Big "B") cabinet. But during the early 70's I decided to switch from using 10's to 15's.
    So I bought two Traynor YC-215-CV cabinets with two Cerwin-Vega 15" speakers in each and used them for a couple of years. 4 x 15" speakers moved alot of air but didn't give me the tone or definition that I had become acustom to with the 810 cabinet. I went back to my YC-810 and sold the two twin fifteen cabs.
    Here's a picture of my rig back in 74 showing the two 2 x 15 Cabs and the Custom Special YBA-3 amp.
    [​IMG]

19. Yes, the YC-810 "Big B" cabinet is a sealed cabinet. It's wide and tall but not very deep. It's also quite heavy and originally came with a dolly that affixed with a large butterfly bolt. If I recall correctly original speakers are Marsland and they're still in perfect condition. The cabinet is 4 ohms. The head connects two cabinets in series for a total of 8 ohms, which is the amp's favourite load.

The chrome bumpers date the cabinet as 1971 or later. Two handles per side were only done in 1971. Good power handling and EXTREMELY punchy.

That's about all that I can think of...

20. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    Hey Arthur,

Here's the pic of the Acoustic 360, it is all ss, pre in head, power amp in the bottom with the 18" folded horn. It's still in showroom condition, sounds great!

As an aside, that is an old '83 D-180, all tubes, with the twin 15" RR mid rangey sound cab, really cuts through any mix!

John

[​IMG]

:cool: