1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Rare WAL Mk3 (1996) 6 String

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BWorm, Jan 9, 2017.

1. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Price:
    Strings:
    Hello everybody. I have decided to sell my beloved first Wal bass. I know it is a decision that I am sure to regret down the road. The band I have been playing with for the past two years has decided to take a break. I have played this bass in that band the entire time. The bass features a wonderful ebony fretboard, a maple neck with mahogany stringers, and a gorgeous schedua top. Even the back facings are more stunning than most bass tops I have seen.
    The bass sounds incredible. Other players that I let try the bass would say things like " Wow! I have never heard a bass sing like that". The harmonics are second to none and the on board preamp is everything a Wal bass should be.

Now for a bit of a disclaimer. When I bought this bass, it was listed on eBay as being in MINT condition. I talked to the seller and he wanted sell it to me outside of eBay. This is a decision I immediately regretted when the bass arrived at my door. I unpackaged the bass and noticed a small hairline split in the back of the neck just behind the nut and 1st fret. Which can also be seen very slightly on the Ebony board. At first I was sick to my stomach because the seller wouldn't do anything about it. Then I relaxed and played the bass. I was stunned at its sound and overall feel. I had never played anything like it and I was hooked. The split has not worsened in the past two and a half years. I believe this was all caused by the truss rod. The previous owner at one point or another probably tried adjusting the truss rod to far. I noticed when looking at the truss rod, that the hexagonal shape was slightly stripped and the truss rod tool I received from Wal no longer fit it. I left it alone and have tried not to think about it. I wanted to be as honest and open about this issue as possible. Having said that... whoever purchases this bass will not be let down. The tone and feel of this bass is one of the best I have ever heard although some work will need to be put into it by a trusted luthier.
    If you have any questions....please feel free to ask. I have decided to sell this bass for a much cheaper price than what I paid because I feel I got my money's worth out of it for the time that I got to play it. Bass weighs 11 pounds and 4 ounces. Comes with a British made Hiscox case.
    Thank you for reading my long description.ATTACH=full]1026468[/ATTACH] IMG_0206.JPG IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0215.JPG IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0237.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0215.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

breathtaking

BWorm likes this.
  3. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Killer 6 string Wal. These are super rare.

BWorm likes this.
  4. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

awesome bass from a great TB'er folks. Wal 6ers are rare and this is an awesome price. Shedua's are no longer part of their standard options so savings on an upcharge on timbre and 6 string option makes this a spectacular bargain!

BWorm and bassballs27 like this.
  5. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Bass is For Sale again. Price drop down to $4600 Shipped. Here is a great chance to try out a Wal at a couple thousand less than what I have invested in the bass.

bdgotoh and kulit17 like this.
  6. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

WOW. drool

7. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Still for sale.

8. The Skeeto

The Skeeto Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    PM'd

9. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Here are a few more photos of the cracks per request. IMG_0393.JPG IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0395.JPG

Bob_Ross and byoung93888 like this.
  10. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Price Drop..... now taking best offers.

11. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    If i were in the market, those "cracks" wouldn't deter me at all. Unfortunate about the previous owners incompetence. GLWTS

ercompa and BWorm like this.
  12. dougde

dougde

Apr 5, 2015
    String spacing and scale length?

BWorm likes this.
  13. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Scale length: 34"
    String spacing at nut: I think they were 40mm wide at the nut, so approx. 12mm spacing
    string spacing at bridge: 19mm

BWorm likes this.
  14. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Thank you for the kind words everyone. As well as the helpful information. Someone is bound to come along and get a great deal on a Rare Wal bass.

japhy4529 and ercompa like this.
  15. S.O.T.G. Rich

S.O.T.G. Rich Gold Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Corpus Christi Texas
    So the truss can't be adjusted correct?

16. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    That is correct... still playable though..

japhy4529 and S.O.T.G. Rich like this.
  17. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Can you tell me about the tone variety of this bass and what shape is the neck (thin front to back?)