Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rare Yes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SciFiGuy, Aug 12, 2004.

1. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    Recently, I was in a local record shop looking through the vinyl, I don't know why. I happened across a Yes album I had never seen. It was a plain white cover with a paste on label that says, "Yes Solos LP Sampler" in black and white Roger Dean script. Somewhere in the inside it says, "promotional copy". Also, instead of a copyright symbol, it uses a “P” in a circle. Anyway, from what I've found out on the internet, after they toured for Relayer in 1974-5, they each made a solo album, then in 1976 did a tour with the solos.

So anyway, this is apparently an album given to radio stations for the Solo tour. And even though I could find info on bootleg copies of just about every performance they ever made, I can't find any mention of this album. A few mentions of Yes Solos bootlegs don't have the same song lists. I don't think I found many of the songs listed in other bootlegs for the same tour.

My question is, how do I find out how much something like this is worth? Is there someplace that does appraisals? Should I email the Yes World website? I don't know that I want to part with it, so I don’t really want to put it on EBay, but I'd like to know what I've got.

BTW, searching for “Yes Solos” turns out A LOT of useless results.

These are the songs on the album:
    Side one:
    Flight of the Moorglade – Jon Anderson
    Hold Out Your Hand – Chris Squire
    Break Away From It All – Steve Howe
    Best Years Of Our Lives – Patrick Moraz
    Spring-Song Of Innocence – Alan White
    Side two:
    Oooh Baby (Goin’ To Pieces) – Alan White
    Dancing Now - Patrick Moraz
    Lost Symphony - Steve Howe
    Lucky Seven - Chris Squire
    Meeting (Garden Of Geda)/Sound Out The Galleon - Jon Anderson

Here’s some scans of the labels:

2. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    Here's a scan of the outer label. Plus a bonus picture, since I mentioned Relayer.

3. PhunkyPhish

PhunkyPhish

Jul 21, 2004
  4. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    Only one reply? With six page threads on the wonders of 'Fragile' floating around? http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100421&highlight=fragile

Not even a wow?

No comments on Shakira wearing a Relayer concert T?

I think I should change my username to Threadkiller. The percentage of threads where I am the last to post is unusually high.

-(for now) SciFiGuy

5. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I have that one. I bought it at a record show in the early 90's for maybe $20-30. I forget. It's pretty rare. I just did a Google search for "Yes Solos LP Sampler" and this page was the first one to come up:

http://www.recordtimenow.com/YES.htm

Looks like they value it at $26. There are other record collector sites that show it too, at varying prices.

Also, about the "Solos" tour in 1976, they did some selections from each solo album, as solo features for each member during the show. There are boots around with some of those songs as they did them live.

Have you heard any of the said solo albums? The Chris Squire one (Fish Out Of Water) is REALLY cool, as is Jon Anderson's trippy multi-tracked Olias Of Sunhillow. One of his absolute best solo works, if you like him that is. I do! :D You can find all of them on CD as imports, except the Steve Howe one.

In case it wasn't obvious, I am a Yes fan, going on 21 years now. I'm one of the younger fans.... :D

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, it's rare because it's a radio promo and maybe some Yes collectors would love to have it but everything on it is also on the solo albums from which it was compiled so it's never going to be worth a LOT of money.

The P mark is for a performance copyright (year of recording or issue).

8. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    More specifically, this indicates the copyright ownership of the sound recording. The P stands for "phonorecord".

I agree, this is likely only worth money to a serious Yes collector who is a completist and knows it exists. That's why I bought it when I found one - I'd already heard of it's collectability. A non-Yes fan wouldn't really care, I wouldn't think.

Hey SciFiGuy, how much did you pay for it? Just curious.

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I have, from what I've been told, is a pretty rare live bootleg.

It was "released" on Amazing Stork Records.... It's Yes - A Chord Of Life.... It's a double live album from 1972. It has a cool Roger Dean cover and on the back is a Yes Crossword puzzle. I'll take a photo with the digital camera and see about posting some pics.

One of the questions on the crossword puzzle is - At it's best when 70 percent proof.

Of course the answer is Rick Wakeman - Eluding to his heavy drinking days.

10. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Ah yes...this one? I have that one too, as I recall the sound quality is atrocious. The crossword puzzle was originally in the tour program from 1977, and was actually made up by Rick himself. It's very humorous.

This web site is a really cool source of info on live Yes shows, including a list of a ton of bootlegs.

11. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Ha! Yeah that's the one. :D

I agree... The sound is awful. It sounds as if someone recorded it with an old cassette recorder.

12. Hey LizzyD - thanks for the link to a great YES "memories" website. I was a big YES fan in the early days (I have their first 4 North American released albums on vinyl), very cool to find a bootleg recorded down the street from where I am now!

13. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    $10. And get this, I didn't buy it right away. I had to talk myself into it, and go back a couple days later. (It had to do a lot with no turntable at home).

Sadly, it sounds like it won't put my daughter through college, but I don't know if I could part with it, anyway. I've recently "borrowed" my parents hi-fi, so I'm hoping to get it on CD in order to listen to it more often.

I don't have any of the solo albums, but I heard the Howe one a long time ago (the one with "Australia" on it?). Which Wakeman album was it? When I win the lottery, I'll fill out my collection a little more.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I didn't get into Yes until 90125 came out, but I worked my way steadily backwards. I've seen them about 3 (or 4?) times in concert. I would have loved to see them during the Topo Oceans Tour.