Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rastafarianism and Judaism (or why so many jewish stoners listen to Marley)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by relman, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Anyone familiar with these two religions will eventually find that there are many similarities. Both have one G-d with many names, both speak of the land of Zion, both speak of brotherly love, peace and equality. My opinion is that Rastafarians once were African Jews, who were eventually brought to the "West Indies" as slaves. Can anyone elaborate on this? Does anyone have other opinions?

Ariel

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

All I can say is that I have Jewish neighbors who are Huge Greatful Dead fans. I dig Marley, Tosh, et al. I am not confirmed or born Jewish, though I am an "Old Testament" stalwart.

Any decent study of the Torah may be more helpful. I have read it, though I still play ACDC REAL LOUD!

3. Yeah, but it is, er, old, is it not?:confused:

Erm, nevermind.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The thought occurs to me that discussions of the Diaspora and other religious topics may belong in the lounge ...

I think they are former Vikings, lulled from their murderous ways and and stupified with
    ganja and rum. After many years, their tans got darker and their hair became matted into rows.

Soon, they discovered it was easier to stay than to return to the frozen North and build saunas to sweat out their hangovers. And that goat and lamb meat tasted about the same after the first few brews.

They spoke of brotherly love so as to not scare away their best friends before setting on them.

And everyone knows 'Zion' in Old Norse means
    'I can't find my glass, where'd I put it down?'

Thor

5. LMAO! :D

That's going in the sig.

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm honored.

My first sig quotation.

Anyone ever tell you that you have a twisted sense of humor?

Don't bother looking for the glass, I think I drank it already ...

Thor

---------
    Back to your reqularly scheduled thread.

7. dude there's a zion in the Matrix too, they must all be dreadlocked heebs!

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think that what is actually happening is that the Rastafarians incorporated parts of the Bible that resonated with the experiences of them and their ancestors who were enslaved and brought to the West Indies. Slavery, followed by other forms of repression while yearning for a land from which they were separated, meant that blacks in the new world found a lot of resonance with the biblical accounts of Egyptian slavery and later Babylonian exile. That's another constant theme in Rastafarianism, Babylon and what it represents to the African experience in the Western hemisphere. To make a long story short, Rastafarians appropriated imagery and ideas from Hebrew accounts of repression and slavery.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I apologize if you took my post to be other than tongue in cheek. There's really no corelation, I responded (intending to be lighthearted) about the "proposed" relationship. It would require reams or research at least to prove (if) there is one.

Shalom:cool:

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    considering the fact that rastafari consider an ethiopian emperor - haile selassie - to be god, i don't think there's many comparisons.

rastfarians took much of jewish tradition and history and sort of fit their own religious worldview around it.