1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rat 2 Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PlatypusBassist, Aug 28, 2018.

1. PlatypusBassist

PlatypusBassist

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm on a bit of a Matthew Garrison hype and read that that he uses a 20 year old (probably closer to thirty years now) Rat pedal. Would a Rat 2 get me the same sort of distortion tone as heard on Essaquira at 6:45

I Told Ya So (1:13)

or the beginning of I Can See You Now?

2. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Probably, although I would upgrade to a much newer Rat made for bass. I personally love the Cat Tail and the Volt Thrower, but you will get a million other suggestions. I'd stay away from a stock Rat unless you want to obliterate your lows. The pedal shines thru in your example above because the mix is so light. Add crunchy guitars though and you will dissapear.

rratajski and PlatypusBassist like this.
  3. PlatypusBassist

PlatypusBassist

Jun 15, 2011
    Should probably have mentioned, I'm not after it for distorting normal bass playing, more for lead guitar type sounds that matt uses his for

4. Ronald Poe

Ronald Poe

Jan 22, 2015
    Speaking of Rat 2, I found the pedal was a little thin sounding when combined with my Berhringer BDI21 (with treble and blend cranked and drive at 3 o'clock). However putting a bass Big Muff between the two made the tone real balanced, thick yet trebly, and aggressive. Just thought you guys might want to try it out (though I haven't tried it with a metal band yet).

PlatypusBassist likes this.
  5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Get a Dunwich Volt Thrower - easily my favorite Rat style pedal out there

6. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Yes, a RAT 2 will do that close enough, especially for soloing.

It's also easy enough to mod it if you want it to be a bit more bass friendly. Price is right used too.

7. Rat 2 will sound close enough. I'd stick with the Rat for this application, most of the boutique clones are aimed at preserving low end for more traditional bass playing.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Isn't that a RAT2 anyways?
    Also...I have found that not all RAT2s (of the same generation) sound the same.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  9. PlatypusBassist

PlatypusBassist

Jun 15, 2011
    The only information I could find was that (at the time of the interviews) was a that it was a 20 year old rat pedal

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Yupp, I too found an interview that says this.
    Sounds like it#s not a 2 .(which came in in '88 as far as the info I found goes.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any Rat pedal will get you that tone. Model is unimportant, when it was made is unimportant.

basscapes and PlatypusBassist like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021