1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RAT 2 very low volume (????)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vntr, Apr 30, 2009.

1. vntr

vntr

Sep 15, 2006
    switzerland
    Hey everybody!!

I'm having an issue with a RAT 2 I bought a few days ago, and maybe some of you could help.

So I bought this RAT 2 distortion pedal knowing it will give me the distorted sound I want, and when I used it for the first time, I noticed its volume is quite low. Even turned to its maximum, I'm still not happy with the volume.

My set up is a G&L bass, with two 1 x 12 Ampeg cabinets and the SVT VR Ampeg amp. With the RAT 2, I also use the Boss Tuner pedal.
    Before buying the RAT 2, I was using the Blues Driver pedal from Boss, and I was pretty happy with it, but I wanted something new, and I always heard very good things about the RAT 2. I play in a loud/noisy rock band, and my sound is sort of like David Wm. Sims' sound, quite nasty with a lot of attack.

So as I said, I was very disappointed with the RAT 2 and its level. With the RAT, I also bought the power supply. Maybe it's totally stupid, but do you think that putting a 9V battery inside would make any difference????

I play very loud, but c'mon!!!!....it's the first time I've ever had an issue like this with a distortion pedal.

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks!!!

2. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Dude I have my volume set at 2 o clock and it is loud! I would trade it in for another one. Batteries should not matter. Perhaps check the output of your DC adapter. Volume issues has never been a problem on these for me. Great pedal, just get one that works.

3. Kooldac

Kooldac

Oct 20, 2008
    Arizona
    Try the pedal isolated, by its self in the chain with a designated power supply to it. Then try it without a power supply and with a fresh battery. If the volume is still low, something is wrong with the pedal.

4. vntr

vntr

Sep 15, 2006
    switzerland
    Thank you both!!

The more I think about it, the more I believe this pedal is ****ed.
    Kooldac, I will isolate it, with only a battery inside and test the volume.
    Why didn't I think about this????

Thank you both again for your feedbacks.

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Ask Ryan.

6. Kind of sounds like someone did the simplest version of the ruetz mod to it. It will substantially lower the output volume available. Check out this link and see if there is a clipped resister somewhere in your rat.

I'd also like to recommend that you if you replace your rat, get a turbo rat or a vintage rat instead of another rat II. They work much better not only for bass, but they're also better at sounding like a Rat:ninja:

7. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    You have a dud.

The pedal's probably bad.

This does not sound in any way like a Ruetz clip mod.

I just modded a new RAT last week. Pretty weird that the PCB board says "RAT 3" on it. You should only ever go for a vintage RAT or vintage reissue.

8. He is getting very low volume out of the pedal. The ruetz clip mod substantially lowers the volume of a rat. I would say that constitutes 'sounding in some way' like the ruetz mod (or a botched reutz mod). I wouldn't be surprised if there is another problem with the pedal but still, you get my point...

I like the vintage Rat best my self, but as a search of this forum will show, the turbo rat is very popular among bass players and may suit the OP well.

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    My vintage RAT has tons of volume on tap. Unity gain is somewhere around 11 o'clock. I just wish it had better bass response.

10. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I've done the Ruetz mod and the volume didn't die THAT much. The only time I've had significant volume loss is when both the 47 adn 560 resistors are removed from the circuit. One or the other doesn't change it. I have a modded RAT on my board now and have done the resistor mod to a bunch of RATs...

11. I used to have a Vintage Rat and that was verging on the edge of uncomfortable at full volume. So, I'm with everyone else. I think you may have picked up a dud pedal :bawl: