Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cliff em'All, Dec 30, 2005.
Which is the better sounding better quality pedal ? Or which do you recomend?
Sounds amazing with bass.
Nice and small
Built like a rock
Steals ALL of your bass
Need to have some sort of EQ after it to make it bassier
I can't comment on the Marshall though.
Marshall Guv'nor II
- No low end loss ('Deep' knob tightens the low end)
- Everything from light grind to insane distortion
- Very versaltile, with three band EQ and 'Deep' knob
- Built like a tank
- Completely silent, even on high gain
- Awesome battery door (hard to open doors are a major pet peeve of mine)
- It's size takes up very little of my precious pedal board real estate
- Not true bypass
- Input and Output jack seem a little loose (it's not been a problem yet though)
Overall, it's a great little pedal. Especially if you're on a tight budget.
original marshall guvnor...
- not a terrible amount of low end loss (for optimal sound, i still recommend using a loooper or 2 amp setup)
- great range of overdrive form warm and smooth to gritty and thick to full on high gain tube sound
- 3 band EQ (not designed for bass, but crucial to dialing in the perfect sound...very responsive controls...also helps to keep the bass)
- works AMAZINGLY w/ compression before it (i use an aphex punch factory w/ drive on 10, volume on 5)...just brings a lot mroe fullness to it, but works fine w/o compression
- gain AND level controls (dial in LOTS of gain, but dont blow ur bandmates too far away by cutting back on the volume)
- prolly the best sounding overdrive in conjunction w/ wah use...before OR after the wah
- can be difficult to find and pricy (usually about $150-200)
- as stated above, the EQ isnt designed for a bass
- pretty darn noisy pedal...nothing near the boss odb-3, but noticeably very noisy
ive used MANY a different overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal and the guvnor is in my top 3 (hbe big d, guvnor, modded brassmaster clone i made)..the noisiness of the pedal doesnt turn me off, im buying noise gates for all my amps anyway
cant say ive ever used a Rat...based on what people TELL me it sounds like and soundclips ive heard of it on bass, it doesnt sound like my cup of tea
they're both very different animals
Guv'nor orignal? pricey??? It got mine for 50 bucks!!!
Btw, i'm testing out a couple of mods for this baby, I'll post my coments when I'm done, lets say, within 3 weeks, i'm in school exams for now......
Get a Guv'Nor I'd say... Unless you're willing to shell out extra cash for a looper for the RAT, it's the only one that would be useable. The RAT sounds amazing, but the total loss of low-end is inexcusable.
Ones a fuzz and ones an od. It really depends upon what sound your looking for.
I'm digging up somethin here... Any comments between the original Guvnor and the shiny Guvnor 2?