1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RAT Pedals.... why do I keep breaking them?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pulse, Feb 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey... I just want to find out if its me or does the LM308 chip have a limited life span.

My third RAT pedal just went down....

first I had an original 80s RAT (which sounded best but died) then I bought an acid pig... been having issues with sound cutting out.... now my custom RAT clone went down.....

I use a lot of other pedals.... is it a powering thing? and its on a daisy chain of 9volt pedals (no more than five) with correct polarity

Thanks

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    What's failing on these pedals? Have you ever attempted to get one repaired? In my limited experience, the 'weak link' on most true-bypass pedals is the foot switch. After that, the parts most likely to fail are the electro-mechanical bits: the jacks and the pots. If you had a custom one made, the builder should be able to fix it. Hopefully for free.

I don't think the LM308 chip is likely to fail unless it gets high voltage from the power supply. There's a transistor buffer before the LM308, so it's unlikely a 'hot signal' could cause the chip to fail.

pulse likes this.
  3. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    So...since they aren't all the same brand then that makes it tough.

The IC is hardy so no issues there unless they are fakes.

Maybe get them all serviced at the same time to find a common thread.

If they are straight up clones then the usual issues would be with wear and tear, quality control, or user error.

rratajski likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021