SOLD "Rat-Rod" Marcus J-Bass with Moses, East, DiMarzio, Badass, HSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Roy Smith, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Roy Smith

Roy Smith

Dec 7, 2008
    York, PA
    Price:
    $850
    Strings:
    2019-02-10%2012.44.44_1.jpg

I'm selling this interesting "Project" bass I put together a few years ago. I wanted to make a Marcus Miller-type J bass so I got a cheap chinese J bass for the body, added a Moses Graphite neck, John East J-Retro preamp, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups, and a Badass bridge, finished it off with Dunlop strqp locks.

The bass is set up for slapping (of course!), and the graphite neck is razor straight, as you would expect. Never needs adjustment, either! The width at the nut is just over 1.5" (39 mm).

The J-Retro + Dimarzo Ultra Jazz pickups give you total flexibility to get the "Marcus Tone" by dipping out the mids and turning on the "bright" switch by pulling the top knob up on the treble pot. You can also dial in normal J bass sounds, and it has a mini switch to go back to analog mode in case your battery dies. The battery is underneath the plate, by the way.

I can't really describe the color of the body - it was supposed to be a dark orange, but when I got it from the chinese source, it's more of a dusty rose.. Definitely not a color you will see anywhere else.

Condition wise, this is in mint condition. It has no dings or issues whatsoever. I used it only in the studio and for one live gig. You can hear what it sounds like on this track -

2019-02-10%2012.44.40_1.jpg

2019-02-10%2012.45.03_1.jpg
    2019-02-10%2012.44.48_1.jpg
    2019-02-10%2012.44.55.jpg
    2019-02-10%2012.45.12_1.jpg
    I am including a hardshell case as pictured.
    2019-02-10%2012.45.47.jpg
    I buy and sell guitars often and have over 500 positive feedbacks on eBay. Check it out if you wish - "Ratherbgolfing" is my handle.

I'm asking $850 for the bass which includes insured UPS Ground shipping to continental US or a shipping forwarder with US address. Not interested in trades. I accept payment by PayPal in US Funds. PM me if you have questions. Lowballers, please don't waste our time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    red_rhino and JZQuantum like this.
  2. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Nice track and nice tone.

Is the neck really 1.375" wide? I've never owned anything less than 1.5".

3. Roy Smith

Roy Smith

Dec 7, 2008
    York, PA
    I stand corrected (Will fix the post). I checked it with a ruler the first time and misread. Used my caliper this time and it's just a little over 1.5". Thanks for pointing that out!

4. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Groovy.

5. red_rhino

red_rhino Currently on Double Secret Probation Gold Supporting Member

The bass in my profile pic is very, very similar. MIJ body and Sadowsky single-coils being the only difference. The Moses neck is so fast it's like running on ice (in a good way). Thing sounded great! Thunderous. One of the few basses I regret selling.

Nice track, BTW. :thumbsup:

6. Roy Smith

Roy Smith

Dec 7, 2008
    York, PA
    Yep, it's a very nice playing and sounding rig. I will probably miss it the next time I have to do a lot of slapping like that song - it's much harder on a 5 string for some reason. Thanks for the note.

7. Roy Smith

Roy Smith

Dec 7, 2008
    York, PA
    BUMP! Lowered price from $1300 to $900 to get her a new home.

8. Roy Smith

Roy Smith

Dec 7, 2008
    York, PA
    Bump! Price lowered again to $850 shipped. Now less than the cost of the neck and preamp! That's like getting a Free hardshell case, Badass bridge and Dimarzio pickups with purchase!