1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rat Ruetz mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Is this mod enough to solve the low-end loss caused by the pedal?

2. I did this to mine and I really like the tone I get. It cuts a lot of the high end zing and chainsaw like quality out. I notice that I have oodles more low end afterward. I was actually looking into buying another pedal before I did this but I love this little distortion pedal now. If you are worried about not being able to go back, I've seen several folks wire it to a switch.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure ProCo will replace the pedal for just about anything that happens to it. Risk = Low

3. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    I added a switch to my (selfbuilt) Rat to switch that mod in and out. It does sound differentely and is worth a shot imo, still you won't have the same "Rat-character" (less mids and highs, more bass) as before.

4. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Which Rat model do you have? Rat 2, Turbo, vintage with LM308...?

5. Its a new version of the Rat so I suppose it is a Rat 2. The led is behind the Rat lettering on the top of the case if that helps.

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I had a Rat 2 with the lm308 and the Ruetz mod done to it. I wasn't a huge fan, it had more bass but it was kinda muddy sounding and didn't have the same character as a normal rat.

Fxdoctor.com does an awesome "bass adjust" mod to rats for cheap. It works really well, I have that mod done on one of my many rats I've owned and it's still one of my favorites after many have come and gone.