Rat Urine

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by killRighty, May 21, 2004.

1. killRighty

May 21, 2004
    My speaker cabinet is full of it. Seems the front fell off my Ampeg B-17T while it was in storage and some rodent snuck in the airhole and made it his home.

I might go the way of repairing and de-stinking my combo, but, chances are, I'm going to be getting a new rig. I haven't been into the music scene in a while, so I need some advice: should I get a new speaker (the head on my old amp works OK, but I don't know how good it is), a combo, or what? What would be a good value for the $400-$600 range? I'll be playing small venues (clubs in Downhome, SC), mostly cover songs in the vein of Georgia Satellites, Skynrd, Steve Miller Band. My axe is a Ibanez Soundgear 4-string. I would appreciate any advice you would care to give me.

Also, I cannot find any info on my Ampeg anywhere on the internet. How old is it, exactly?!?

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Man, talk about being pissed! ;) Although I've been around a while, I'm not familiar with that Ampeg. If you were happy with the sound, then look around for something similar. How many watts does the amp put out? Is it tube or solid-state? What size speaker(s)?
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ... daaaaaaaaaaahhhmmm
  4. killRighty

May 21, 2004
    I was happy with the sound, but it's the only amp I really played out of, so I may be missing out on some really good stuff; I just don't know.

It's solid state, it puts out around 60-100W, and it's got a single 15" speaker.
  5. Yeah, that smell doesn't go away easily, if at all. You could try some of that Nature's Miracle, I haven't tried it but I've heard good things.

If you're going to get a new one, just look for a 1x15 combo. I played a GK combo that was way cool, and it had the little luggage handle and wheels. Good for the back!!! :D
  6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    If you want to stick with Ampeg, the BA115 is similar to what you have (100W, solid-state, 15"). It's about $450 new at MF. If you want more headroom, say 200W, you might try the BA-210SP, 200W and 2x 10". More money though, $700.

What it boils down to is there are so many choices, new and used. The best advice anyone can give is to try as many combos and or heads/cabinets that you can, and get the one that gives you "your sound." Good luck! :D
  7. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl

Actually for more headroom I would suggest the BA115HP, not the BA210.

You can normally pick up at BA115 at GC for about $400, the HP they will have to order so you may not be able to get a discount on it and you will have to leave a down payment.
  8. killRighty

May 21, 2004
    So here's my game plan:

1. Get some Nature's Miracle, and go on an all-out anti-urine offensive.
    2. Fix whatever's wrong with the speaker (probably a bad plug).
    3. Try out some amps (particularly BA115HP and BA210, if any of the local shops have them on hand) and figure out what I like best.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. Sorry for being such a damn noob. :D

Columbia, SC
  9. Good luck!

It's most probable that the rodent chewed through the wires going to the speaker, they can't resist rubber/plastic insulation...

The stank would be a major concern in a hot, humid summer place like the Carolinas. I had cat urine on the carpet on a cab. It wasn't fun being in that car on a summer day... :scowl:
  10. killRighty

May 21, 2004
    I checked the wires and they all look good. I think it's the plug in the back that's causing the problem.

I'll bet it was tough to get tips, too!

Hmmm maybe I should fill my amp with kitty litter. People would come up after a gig and ask how I got that funky sound, and I'd say, "Fresh Step!" :D

On the subject of new equippage, someone told me last night that people are dispensing with the amps entirely, and running their guitars through pedal-sized digital processors straight into the PA. Is this a feasible option for basses? He says they're pretty cheap.
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I just had to post in the thread with the best title. Glad I could contribute.
  12. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Iff it's a high power pa w/ subs and a good monitor for you.
  13. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    i agree 999.999%
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    ha ha.

pwned by a rat!
  15. killRighty

May 21, 2004
    Bah, I'll just go the usual amp route... can't always depend on a PA with decent subs.

Yes, I was pWnZ0rEd by a rat. I woulda got back at him, but I have a cat that does that for me. He actually ate the rat's posterior.