1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rate for P&W bassist - NYC Metro area?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Hey all,

I was recently approached by the music minister of a church in Jamaica, Queens, who's in need of a regular bassist to play Sunday services each week. Not a lot of detail available just yet, but the gig essentially consists of jamming on some pretty simple, straightforward gospel standards (rehearsals not required).

Sounds like a pretty easy and enjoyable gig. And he's offering cash for the right player, though a specific amount hasn't been discussed yet.

I have no idea of how much something like this pays, as I've never played a "praise & worship" gig before. Any of you experienced P&W bassists care to chime in with an answer? Particularly those of you who live in metro NYC?

Thanks,

MM

2. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    It partially depends on the size of the church and the band. If it is a big mega church, with screens, bandstand, and tons of members, the pay will be best.

3. carvinbassplyr

carvinbassplyr Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Waterford, MI
    What are the rehearsal requirements? How big are the set lists and how long are the services?

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Rehearsals not required (re-read the OP). Set lists and service lengths, I don't know.

FYI, it has since turned out that this gig is un-doable for me. I have a schedule conflict with my own church's services (which I attend nearly every week). Plus, the distance and difficulty involved in simply getting to the gig from my home in northern Manhattan - by any means that would actually be cost-effective (i.e. public transportation) - would likely make the gig more trouble than it's worth. We're talking a minimum of 90 minutes by subway & bus, more likely closer to two hours. That's for a one-way trip. :rollno:

Of course, I could always hire a car service or taxi, which would likely cut the trip down to about 30 minutes or so; maybe 40 minutes at the most. It would also require me to pay virtually every dime that I might make at the gig, just for transportation. So this is, for me, a non-starter.

That said, I've encouraged this minister to post an opening in the TalkBass classifieds, under "Wanted: Bass Player". I have no idea whether he will do so.

In the meantime, any of you gospel cats who live in Brooklyn, Queens, or Nassau County, who are in search of a paying P&W gig, shoot me a PM, and I'll share the minister's name & contact information, so you can follow up with him directly. But you'd better do it soon, because he's actively recruiting right now.

That's it. I'm going to stop tracking this thread now. Any further communication on this topic, from candidates for the bass chair at this church, can come via PM - until mid-March at the latest (3/15). After that, I wash my hands of the matter.

MM