1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rate me baby...rate me real good...(jazz/blues content)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by blakelock, Jun 4, 2012.

1. blakelock

blakelock Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
  2. Pretty cool. On Summer Samba, I'd try to give the notes the full value so it flows more smoothly and is not choppy.

For the listen here and mercy, you can make these notes short and syncopated, with a stronger attack, since funk blues is like that anyway. For those tunes, I'd prolly use more syncopation sorta in the style of Jerry Jammott, but that's just a style thing.

My 2 cents.

3. blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    thanks a lot doc. i have a bad habit of overdoing it a bit with the rhythms instead of just letting it go with the flow. sometimes it's so hard being a bass player and acknowledging that less is more.

4. blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    bump for more critiques...hope i don't regret it...

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I enjoyed the solo, man.

You did a good job of starting with some melodic embellishment, and building. It seems like you hit a creative wall in the solo, could've been from nerves, but who knows.

Try to work with some different rhythms. Even, more 8th notes, or 8th note triplets. Start lifting some solos and steal licks!

Keep at it brother