1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rate my Gear Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S. fearer, beware!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InstantEctobass, May 4, 2021 at 3:00 AM.

1. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    So, here is a table with all the bass I owned. In bold are the ones I currently one, and for long term. The legend after the table indicate what do the colours mean

upload_2021-5-4_10-4-16.png upload_2021-5-4_9-59-27.png

What about your GAS? Do I need to seek treatment?! :eek::thumbsdown::crying:

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 3:05 AM
    JRA, murphy, Thundertips and 13 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You're doomed, laddie!

3. halcyo

halcyo

Sep 19, 2012
    At least you seem to be addicted to having lots of very reasonably priced instruments. You’re gonna be in real trouble if you start playing/liking USA made models of a lot of those types!

The fact that you have such involved charts/analytics is either impressive or terrifying. Can’t tell without more data lol

JRA, wmmj, Meaculpa and 1 other person like this.
  4. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Oh no!! ... Anyway, [..]

Well, so far I had 3 Fenders (1 CIJ, and 2 MIM, all of them were high-end instruments), and I also got a brand new Fender Made in America 60s Jazz Bass neck, and all of that pretty disappointed me. Had all of them after my Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass. Since I had that bass, I realised that more expensive instrument (aside boutique and custom shop instruments which I never had anyway) aren't necessarily more impressive, or in fact, the contrary, for the given prices! Only my 1992 EBMM StingRay blew me away! To the point that I'm keeping it, even though the colour of the finish doesn't appeal me (tastes, it's beautiful made otherwise).

Then, so far, so good?

halcyo and lowdownthump like this.
  5. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    At least you have somewhat of a reasonable, analytical approach to it.

InstantEctobass likes this.
  6. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    I rate your GAS a perfect 5/7. Well done ;P

7. Paul Szegedin

Paul Szegedin

Dec 28, 2020
    If you're going to buy so many cheap instruments, maybe get a little more esoteric? I see mostly Squiers here. How about some weird 1960s MIJ stuff, or some of those 1980s Soviet Union wedding band basses, etc? :roflmao: I have 10 guitars/basses in my house right now, some of them great instruments, none of them did I pay more than $87 for.

I have to give you 3/7 -- economical and restrained from the cult-like insanity of expensive instruments, but lacking imagination. Don't give up, lol!

8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

9. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    At least you're tracking your G.A.S. responsibly! Knowledge is definitely power!

Meaculpa and InstantEctobass like this.
  10. Mickp

Mickp

Apr 19, 2015
    Austin, TX
    I think you have a mild case. Only 5 currently on hand and mostly pretty low cost. You may be up there with GTS though (Gear Turnover Syndrome :))
    That list is cool though. I have a list with model, dates, etc and purchase price. My excuse is that when I die my daughter knows what to sell them for, since they're "an investment" :)

dabbler, Outtaseezun, halcyo and 3 others like this.
  11. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Wow, except for your first bass in 2012 all of these basses were bought within the last 5-years. You are a lost soul sir!

InstantEctobass and bassballs27 like this.
  12. lol nice spreadsheet....looks like your "gas" has flared up over the yrs...A bad infection of "the squires" better inform your dr. He might have an ointment for that:smug:

JRA likes this.
  13. 20GLJazz

20GLJazz Supporting Member

He needs some pre CBS USA stock in there...

lowendrv likes this.
  14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    1/5

No pedals or amps, and too many Squier/Fenders.

15. Buy a Gibson and settle down.:D

InstantEctobass likes this.
  16. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Scoring.jpg

JRA, bassdude51, Bogun and 1 other person like this.
  17. MynameisMe

MynameisMe These aren't the effects you're looking for... Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Florida
    One of my favorite basses is a 96' MIM P bass I have $ 300.00 in total. Plays awesome and if I got rid of all my other basses I would keep it.

seve545 and InstantEctobass like this.
  18. bylar13

bylar13 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2016
    So, you keep buying/selling/re-buying/re-selling essentialy the same bass. Seems about right to me!

19. Making charts and graphs takes away precious time you could use shopping for the next one.

JRA, bassdude51, matdras and 2 others like this.
  20. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    I see you're a man of culture as well ! ;P

I'd love to try some of these, but even on Reverb, I rarely see them offered, most of them would have to be imported if I remove the "Europe" filter. Sadly, enough import duties for me!!! That's easy robbery.

Thank you for your support my man. I, for a while, felt I was walking on that path alone. Nice thread for seeking the help we might need.

Turnover? The EBMM is still 1200EUR, which is above what I'm currently making monthly. I may have to sell it in case of something bad happening. Do you care to share your list? :) Nice legacy for your daughter, tho! She might like playing the bass guitar someday, too? Would had love to have a parents to share music with..

The thing is... we can't be prepared for that illness. We can't expect it. We don't get informed of it. And boom, it arrives. Like a Falcon rocket! (well)

I'll ask him tomorrow on the phone, and I'll drive to the nearest music store pharmacy, if needed! :woot:

I have to admit that I never had something like this in my hands...

Sorry to disappoint. :crying::crying::crying: I have to admit I'd love pedals. Only have 2 amps but I didn't list these. I only listed bass guitars!

I'd love to have one like BADBADNOTGOOD's bass player. I think it's a Reaper/Ripper. If one pops up for sale nearby... who knows o_O

Which one is it from your profile picture?

Well, to be quite honest, I've been searching for 2 to 3 years for a perfect 70s style Jazz Bass, with the correct pickup spacing AND with pearloid blocks. I started with the SX, 2 years ago. But it was the worst second-hand bass purchase ever. Then Squier announced their new Classic Vibe 70s and bass I received was crap. The day after, I bought a Fender Mexico FSR 70s Jazz Bass which modified pickups (original were dead) but it was a big disappointment, tone and finish wise. Since then, I tried to find the perfect 70s Jazz Bass again and again, I wanted the Ash body and pearloid blocks. But Ash is heavy, unless you go Swamp Ash, and for the next, I tried 3 different Squier VM 77 necks, the cheapest with pearloid blocks, and all of them were utter crap. Unable to get them straight and with a nice action. Since then I forgot about the natural and block looks. I just want the tone. I have the sound side of the 70s Jazz Bass era with a pair of pickups I got with my 14th bass, and now I think I've found a good pair of body and neck to make a perfect 70s Jazz parts Bass. Did you follow? :smug::woot::laugh:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021