Rate My New Rig Pleeeze (pics incuded)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ok boys and girls here is what I spent on this rig. All prices INCLUDE shipping!!!

Used Hartke 3500 Head $360
    (with SKB 4U rack included)

New Furman power conditioner $ 78
    (with lighting modules)

Used Aphex Aural Exciter $127
    (Model 104 C2 with Big Bottom)

Cables $ 65
    (effect loop and cab cables only)

New Avatar 4x10 cab $291
    (Eminence Deltas, Foster Horn)

New Avatar 1x15 $220
    (Eminence Kappa! Includes Castors for $9 extra)

Total: $1141

Again the prices above include shipping. I figure that I did not do bad considering what I got. I bought all of the used stuff on ebay. Oh, I have a Hartke HA 7000 on the way to replace the 3500. This way I can crossover the frequecies to each cab. I'll give the 15 anything below say 60 hz or so... I'm uploading the pics now (gimme a few min).
  2. Quadzilla

Last but not least, pic 5
  3. Very cool, Quadzilla -

Can you give us a review of the Avatar cabs?

thanks -

4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I bought some Avatar wedge monitors. Couldnt be more pleased with them. Well constructed and great sound, I would expect nothing less from the bass cabs. Great prices too.

5. Quadzilla

I will give it a true review Thursday eve after band practice, but here goes my observations thus far.

As you can see from the pics, the cabs are well constructed. 3/4" plywood with daedood (speling) joints, Eminence speakers, foster horn, switchcraft jacks, etc. Carpeting is glued on well. Grill is noce and secured very well. Grab handles are super duty. The main things that are lacking are the lack of sound deadening material and a sticker or something behind the volume adjustment for the horn on the 4x10. THe sound deadening material are only thin (maybe 1/2" to 3/4" thick) pieces that cover the the entire top, bottom and 1/2 up the sides inside the cab. There is no material on the front and back inside of the cab. I may add some to se what happens. This may not have any effect, who knows.
    I would also have like to seen a sticker or something behind the volume knob for the horn with a 1-10 on it and labled "Horn Volume" or something. Again, a very minor thing.

Now for the sound. From what I can tell thus far in my basement, the thing rocks and BLOWS away my Laney in terms of tightness, punchiness (is that a word :D ?). It's also much brighter. That is prob from the horn (which I only have set 1/3 of the way up right now). Overall a huge improvement from my Laney.

I'll give a better review after band practice on Thursday night and also tell you what the band thought as well.
  6. great rig - what does the aural exciter add to the mix? does the 15 have a horn / tweeter?
  7. Quadzilla

The Aural exciter really "beefs" or "phattens" things up especially on the low notes. It's hard to explaim ,but most who use these or the BBE Maximizer (the competeting product) swear by em. It does make a significant difference (in a good way)... No the 15" does not have a horn. Knowing Dave at Avatar, he prob would do one for you if you wanted it. I know that he is hard at work on a single 12 with a horn in it to compete with Bagend's (and others) cab. I'm told that should be out soon.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Looks nice.

The HA7000 should make a big difference. 350 watts per side will give those cabs what they need. I assume they are 8ohm/200watts each.

Can't beat the price.

Hold onto the HA3500. I kept mine as a practice/emergency head.

Good luck with it!!!
  9. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    What about 2x12?? Any idea how many watts these new 1x12s will handle?
  10. Quadzilla

It's good for 400watts 12".

Specs on the Eminence Kappa.

Designed for sound reinforcement systems. Also suitable for lead and bass guitar, keyboards, guitar combos, club music systems and stage monitors.

Nominal Basket Diameter 12", 304.8mm
    Impedance 8 ohm
    Power Rating 400W rms
    Resonance 45Hz
    Usable Frequency Range 40Hz - 4kHz
    Average Sensitivity 1W @ 1m 101 dB
    Magnet Weight 80oz.
    Gap Height 0.375", 9.52mm
    Voice Coil Diameter 3", 76.2mm

Mounting Information Overall Diameter 12.27", 311.7mm
    Baffle Hole Diameter 11.03", 280.0mm
    Front Sealing Gasket fitted as standard
    Rear Sealing Gasket fitted as standard
    Mounting Holes Diameter 0.255", 6.5mm
    Mounting Hole B.C.D. 11.69", 296.8mm
    Depth 5.625", 143mm
    Shipping Weight 17.4 lbs, 7.9 kg
  11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Quadzilla- Are the cabs well braced internally?
  12. Cool man. Really reminds me of the ones that I constructed. Mine are obviously homebuilt, but use the delta 10's, and a kappa pro 15lf (can get away with a little smaller box). So I understand how it sounds (mostly). Coooool.

13. Quadzilla

No they are not, but let me tell you something, with the 3/4" plywood and the dadoed joints, these things could survive a nuclear bomb!! They are heavy duty!
  14. Quadzilla

Wow Tufnuts, they look very close! Nice job on your cabs!!!