1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rate my tone/my new bands first gig

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tom once dead, Apr 6, 2009.

1. okay, at the moment, I have found my tone. I want you guys to tell me what you think. I am/was going for a henka (children of bodom) and killswitch bassist type tone.

also be nice, we only had one month from our first practice and only ONE full band practice (with all memebers).

Tell me what you think
    Caution: it is metal - arch enemy (with a chick singer)

2. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    not a clue! can only just hear it tbh.

record yourself on your own, but plug your bass into the computer either with an interface or mic ur amp, rather than using a cameras mic.

wats ur set up anyway

3. tbh? I can hear it pretty well through my speakers. it gets a little bit lost when playing lower notes, but you will notice it when I go up strings

set up is my esp jm 500 with bridge pup only, all onboard eq slightly boosted. Then into a bddi and into an SVT 3 Pro, for that gig i was using an ampeg 810, which was tonal heaven.

4. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    missed the point a bit, its hard to judge a tone when a bass is recorded with a camera, if you know what i meen.

my bass sounds like **** when recorded through a camera, mic'ed up it sounds like its trying to rip my chest open!

5. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    live videos give a poor representation of tone, especially in such a loud environment where the camera cannot cope with the SPL

6. yeah, I dont have a camera unfortunately. but, by itself the tone isnt the best but it cuts through loud guitars like a chainsaw, leaf blower and two stoke motor bike all at the same time.

7. Personally i dont really like the tone much, but you are close to Henkka's(although I love Bodom)
    I dont listen to KSE so i dont know.
    But just my .02c here, Your singer needs to get more into it, a fair bit of metal shows is stage presence, and while she screams a bit like gossow, she doesnt look like shes putting any effort into it, to hit highs and lows.
    Butyour tone if your trying to get Henkka's is near there. I dont know myself what needs to be changed but its a bit off of his...

8. Yeah, Its almost painfull to watch how still the singer is. She was REALLY nervouse because we had had so little practice and it was a big crowd.

I dont think I will properly get Henkka's tone, because I have a different (model) pre and pups, also henkka uses a Sansamp Rpi and I only have the bddi, But I am close enough for me to be happy. I think the thing I like the most is how much it cuts through.