Rate my tone!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Felken, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tone 1: 5 stars

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Tone 1: 4 stars

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Tone 1: 3 stars

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Tone 1: 2 stars

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Tone 1: 1 star

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Tone 2: 5 stars

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Tone 2: 4 stars

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Tone 2: 3 stars

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. Tone 2: 2 stars

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  10. Tone 2: 1 star

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    A user called @Nine-and-three-Quarters recently posted a thread called rate my tone. I that that was a cool little idea, so I made my own. Honestly, I'm curious as to how the people of TB sound. So what do you guys think of my tone?

DISCLAIMERS:

Yes, I know, the tone should be decided by me, it's a personal choice. And yes, I know, I make mistakes in the recording. This is just for fun. And yes, I know I shouldn't need validation from others, I'm just looking for your opinions, not validation. This is just for fun, kay? And Yes, I know, I'm terrible. And yes, I know, everything was wrong. And Yes I know I should practice more (like I don't already practice enough).

forget it. Just don't.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I think you are a better drummer than bass player. :roflmao:
    But the tone is good.

Squittolo, andruca and punchdrunk like this.
  3. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Gosh, is it really that bad? I know I'm not playing well today but... Still... I was playing great yesterday, maybe I'm crap today because of that?

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I'm just saying the drummer is spot on perfect, almost like a robot ...

5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I'm sorry to say that I can't bring myself to vote on either your thread or that posted by @Nine-and-three-Quarters , as I don't think it is fair.

You are asking me to rate your tone, but would you like me to vote on the tone in the context that you would use it or in the context of how much I like it?

I mean, if I need to vote based on whether I would chase that tone, then it would not be fair as the tone may not be something that works in the context I play in. However, if I need to vote based on the context on which you gentlemen would use your tone (i.e: the music you play) then I don't think that I am am qualified to do so as I do not play/listen to the same kinds of music.

6. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    It is a robot... (;

hondo4life likes this.
  7. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    How much you like it in the current context. Obviously, you don't want the same tone as I do, and obviously, it won't work in every situation. I use these two tones the most, mostly in rock music. But I also play jazz, where I have a different, more suitable tone. I just want to know what you think if this tone in this setting, with a clean straight plain 120bpm drum beat. As it is.

8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    The tone is OK but this tone is made to be used with distorted guitars otherwise it is a little too dirty.

Why do you ask us this question ?

9. Nine-and-three-Quarters

Nine-and-three-Quarters Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2006
    The Atlanta, GA Area
    I gave you 3 stars on tone 1. Don't like tone 2 at all it really exposes issues in your technique. To much brightest for me. Tone 1 sounds good but half your tone comes from the way you play and release your notes. I think with a little practice to clean up your technique then you can change my vote to 5 stars. And maybe tone 2 might sound the best to me if you clean up your technique. Remember the cleaner and more transparency in your sound, the cleaner your technique has to be. Your playing was a bit to sloppy and I'm not talking about missing notes. Some of those notes can be tamed with a good muting technique. You can use either hand or the combination of both to mute and tame the notes. I suggest you lower your bpm to like 70 and play that way until you have mastered a clean technique then bump up the bpm by a little and master each bump up until you get to your desired speed.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Felken likes this.
  10. Nine-and-three-Quarters

Nine-and-three-Quarters Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2006
    The Atlanta, GA Area
    I really don't understand your reasoning behind not voting. I don't play the type of music that Felkin is playing but because I'm a musician I know what good music is whether county, rock, fusion, jazz, metal or whatever. I've learned to appreciate all genres of music even though I don't play county doesn't mean I can't judge the tone of someone playing county. I know if it sounds good or not either way. Just my thoughts and opinion.
    Last but not lease of course it has to be in the context of what music we are playing. That should be automatic without us having to say that. We didn't ask if you liked our tone for your genre of music. Does the tone sound good for what we are playing and if that answer is not to your ears then that's cool. No judgement here

mikeyjm2, Oddly and Felken like this.
  11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I liked tone two better for a hard rock setting. It's a little more "nasty" if you will.

Felken likes this.
  12. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    You are absolutely right. However, today has been a bad bass day. My playing is sloppy and I can hear it. But I promise, it's not usually like that:thumbsup:

13. Good "tone" on both. I voted 3

14. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I have days like that, too. Come to think of it, they always seem to be the same days I record myself. Hmm ... must be something wrong with my recording equipment.

15. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: GENZ BENZ / SADOWSKY
    Tone? I can't get passed the sloppiness and off time playing to rate the tone.

Come on man. How 'bout you concentrate on your playing first. :rollno:

16. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    You say that this was not a good bass day for you. That means it may also not have been a good to post examples of your work.

Also, tone is pointless outside of some larger musical purpose. We can all get masturbatory over solo'd bass tones but ultimately it's how the tone sits in a mix that matters. Listen to solo'd Jamerson tracks - distorted, ganky, weird, yet utterly perfect in the context of the music.

andruca likes this.
  17. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Gotta be honest...they sounded the same to me tone and well ..maybe it was an off day.

18. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I preferred the first tone, second one is a bit too dirty to my ears.
    I do think it's a cool idea asking to rate 'tone' but it's almost impossible to do fairly unless we're there in the venue with you, or hearing it in the mix on a recording.

19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    My apologies and votes to both of you ;)

20. gregouille23

gregouille23 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I hate to say it, but I can only agree with this. It's not a competition, you should play at the speed that is comfortable for you and only then increase the bpm if you feel like it. Relax, take your time and enjoy the ride :thumbsup:

As for tone... Well in my opinion, tone only has a meaning in a band context so it does not make sense to rate an isolated bass line.

Nashrakh and andruca like this.