1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rate Noel Redding! A great rock bassist or not?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by de la mocha, Mar 11, 2008.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Forget the fact that he was a guitarist turned bass player. Forget the fact that he was often overshadowed by one of the greatest guitarists of all time and one of the most unique drummers of all time.

Did he get the job done? Did he lay down that groove? Did he keep everything coherent and grounded? Did he have a good rock tone and style of his own? He even had cool solo songs with just him alone like on "She's So Fine" and "Little Miss Strange"!

h3.

noel-redding.

2. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    a great fit in a great, great band... whether he was great singularly doesn't really matter now IMO...

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    YES!!!

4. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    no.

5. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    A great bassist? Maybe not, but he certainly was a most fortunate bassist. (they coulda took the next guy in line)

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Adequate, but not great.

I feel Mitch was great and the addition of Jimi's original bassist of choice, Billy Cox, toward the end was much better, although still probably not a great.\

Jimi tried to get Billy to go to England with him at the start and to listen to his lines in contrast with Noel's... it would be nice to hear more of what Billy and Jimi would have done if their recording career hadn't been curtailed so early.

7. He held Mitch and Jimi together.
    R.I.P.

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Just found a couple of pics with Billy Cox.

In Tennessee before the big times.
    Hendrix on the left (obviously!) and Billy in front.
    jimi_hendrix_billy_cox_real_smal-1.

And with a fairly rare bass to boot!
    Billy%20Cox.

9. Doughd54

Doughd54 I wanna rock. rock.

Nov 30, 2006
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    My bass teacher would always tell me to learn more Hendrix Experience bass lines so I'm going to say yes. He definitely knew how to flow with Jimi's voice as part of their rhythm section.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

+1

11. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Supafly afro! I envy his afro.. I got flat whiteboy hair!
    I think he was quite groovy as a bassist. Very english bassist.

12. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Not a great technician, but for the bass line of "Foxey Lady" alone, I consider him a great.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Greatest ever?
    Maybe not; but I've always enjoyed his work, and stealing from it;)
    Whomever noted he followed Jimi's lead was right on, and that applies for both lyrics and guitar work.

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I would say no. In fact, I doubt he was the best bass player in the band. When you think of all the great bass players that Hendrix could have had in his band I'd Noel was at the right place at the right time.

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I happen to love Noel Redding. Around these parts, people have started calling me Joel Redding. Now if I could only get the fro' going like my dad had.

16. Not. But it's hard to say what another person would have played when put into that once in a millenium band situation.

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Noel was in the right place, at the right time.

I heard story's that Hendrix picked Noel for his look ( Hair, cloths)
    As much as his playing.

But, the Experence, needed a solid, groove, type player.
    With Hendrix's wild guitar, and Mitch's swinging drums.
    Noel fit the bill.

He reminds me of Adam Clayton in U2.

18. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Are you crazy?

19. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've heard people say that he "anchored" the band. To which I replied "Why would you want an anchor on an airplane?"

I'm not a fan, and after I saw him do a clinic once I was less of a fan. I'll leave it at that so as not to disrespect those that aren't here to defend themselves....

But I will say that I asked him if he ever played around with any of those crazy effect boxes that Jimi had laying around all over the place. He said no. I thought that was odd. It would have been interesting for Jimi to play with a bassist with a bit more curiosity.

20. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I think it would've been great to have heard Jimi with a bass player that would've pushed him more. Imagine Jimi with

Jack Bruce
    Bootsy
    Larry Graham
    JPJ

Food for thought.