1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rate setlist/10

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 2112, Aug 4, 2018.

1. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    My new covers project had its first performance tonight: a single set as part of a lineup of bands for an annual cancer benefit... feelsgoodman. Here's what we played...

1. Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes
    2. Rush - Limelight
    3. Journey - Stone in Love
    4. Boston - Long Time
    5. Boz Scaggs - Lido Shuffle
    6. Toto - Rosanna
    7. Big Wreck - Ghosts
    8. Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)
    9. Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
    10. Loverboy - Working for the Weekend

It wasn't without first-show clams, but we were overall tight, the crowd loved us, fun was had by all... it was great to finally get this one working, and best-of-all, what a great benefit!

2. I likes it! (8/10)
    I've got 3 & 4 in our own set list.

2112 likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That would be pretty strong around here. 8/10

You guys have horns or did you do the Toto horns on keys? You must have a great singer (or several) as well. Everything in the original key?

2112 likes this.
  4. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    We're doing everything in original keys as they were written... our singer has major upper-range pipes and we have strong backing vocals. We covered the horns on keys... but in our other setlists I double on sax to cover some solos.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. In my neck of the woods, that list wouldn't do so well in the more "dance" clubs that I play in. However, the downtown, concert/performance clubs would eat that alive. Kill it, Brother!

2112 likes this.
  6. Rumbledore

Rumbledore

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    struggling to give this a 1. in Los Angeles this list is an absolute no go

SuperK and 2112 like this.
  7. I give 8. Nice set list.

2112 likes this.
  8. 6/10 for me based on the originals.

I despise limelight. I’ve always hated the vocal for it. I’m not a big fan of Journey covers because Steve Perry, love or hate Journey, is a remarkable instrument and I don’t think I’ve ever heard a cover approach his vocals.

But, ignore that personal stuff and I’d say if played well and you’re having fun, I think it would be entertaining. Pretty varied mix of sound and style. I’d just personally like to see the two from journey dropped and would like to banish limelight from ever having existed. hehe

Congrats on everything coming together and having an awesome time!

2112 likes this.
  9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

With all due respect, it's a bit of a head scratcher. With all that yacht rock in there, I'm a bit confused about the inclusion of the Porcupine Tree tune, even though it's a bit more 'poppy' and accessible than a lot of their stuff. But would anybody in the audience even know of them? And the Simple Minds, yeah, big hit, high recognition factor, but it doesn't seem to fit with the other material. But I'm coming from a position of knowing all their early albums, when they were harsher in a Roxy Music/Kraftwerk style. Big Wreck is pretty obscure, you must be in Canada. Going by the bulk of the selections, where's the Steve Miller and Kenny Loggins? Not my jam, but as long as the audience was happy, there you go.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    2112 likes this.
  10. 7/10
    Ghosts? Porcupine tree?? I know most all music and that is super obscure for me even.
    Drop that and Sally forth to Rock valhalla!
    catRocknroll.

2112 and Spidey2112 like this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I know I'm not doing this correctly, but...

#1, #2, #4, #6 and #8... :thumbsup:...

... the rest? In my neck of the woods they're overplayed, but if you guys/gals represented across the board, then bravo!

Kudos for Porcupine Tree and of course, RUSH... we have Fear Of A Blank Planet and Luminol in our setlist... whether they make the stage, or not, is anyone's guess at this point... :laugh:.

Spectre1966 and 2112 like this.
  12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Not my kind of band/music but a strong set..8ish.

@Rumbledore im from LA living in the provinces now, but where/why wouldn’t this set work?

2112 likes this.
  13. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Hey Spidey, any chance you meant 1, 2, 4, 6 & 7? Just curious because I'd be pretty surprised if Big Wreck was showing up in alot of setlists.

BTW, there ain't no right or wrong here... I was just curious what a bunch of reasonably objective, intelligent third (well... sixth... lol) parties thought about out first setlist. I really appreciate all the feedback!

BTW I'm liking the idea of Fear and Luminol in a setlist... alot!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm tired, but not that tired... :D.

I gave a thumbs up for those I listed. I've never even heard of Big Wreck... I like the Simple Minds song...

There a really cool shared riff at the end of Fear that I like, and when we're all on the same page for Luminol, it actually sounds pretty good...

... when we're not? See Big Wreck...

I'll check out the BW song here in a bit...

2112 and dbase like this.
  15. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Pictures or gig never happened ;)

2112 and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I like the list. Interesting mix of tunes.

2112 likes this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    @2112... @dbase has a point...

... take pics of lots of food... whether you ate it, or not...

2112 likes this.
  18. That list would do fine in most clubs for folks older than millennials.
    How well a band performs their songs is more important than the set list as long as
    all the songs aren't lame as hell or they are all songs that have been played to death by every band and their mother.

2112 likes this.
  19. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    You're my HEROES for playing Porcupine Tree. 10/10 just for that!!!

2112 likes this.
  20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Never heard songs 1 & 7.

Other than that, good list.

2112 likes this.