rate the Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pete Newman, Dec 29, 2003.

Is the Fender Jazz a good beginning bass?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2004.
  1. YES

69 vote(s)
  2. NO

2 vote(s)
  1. Pete Newman

Pete Newman

Dec 29, 2003
    I'm a beginning base player, and have a Fender Jazz base. How does this instrument rate with experenced players?
  2. Thee who cannoth spell "bass" correctly doesnith deserve to playith one. And let thy be smiteithed by the great ripper of bassithism, the great one thou shall call, God.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So you're saying just because you didnt get a moderately good first bass that no one else should? Sounds a little selfish.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Jazz is an excellent bass for a beginner. Many pro and semi pro players gig with them exclusively, and they have been used in the studio on many hit songs over the years, too. I have a Geddy Lee signature Jazz, and it is my favorite 4 stringer. If it had five strings, it would be one of my two or three main players.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree.
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've been playing a little over a year, and have a Riccy :p. But I took time to know the instrument and such. I just don't think that Fender qualifies as a "beginner" bass.
  7. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Uh, I think the better the bass is, the better it is for beginners! If I had started on some utter piece of crap, I might have given it up! The better it sounds, the more fun it is, and the better you get!
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Good choice :). I was going to get one from GC, but they sold it already >_<. So I saved up some more and got an Original Geddy Bass (to an extent), a Ric :). I agree that Jazz basses are excellent beginner bass.. But a Fender is more of an investment than an experiment. Spending $400+ on your first bass is taking a major chance.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ..Thats why you buy it used. I got my first bass ( a fender MIM jazz bass that i just recently sold) for $275 after shipping, with HSC.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    C'mon, don't be hard on a beginner. Until one takes lessons, how can they learn?

I've been playing professionally for "umpteen" years now. I remember when I was but 13 years old and asked an employee in a music store if a particular guitar hanging on the wall was "a lead or a rhythm guitar".

Thank goodness he didn't ridicule me, but took the time to sit down and discuss the basics to some naive snot-nosed kid - one who would someday become a pretty damned good bassist . . .
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I wasn't saying get a crap bass. Essex basses, Ibanez, and Peavey beginners series basses are great starts. Also, most beginners don't focus on tone. They usually focus on actually playing a song of some sort. Tone is usually something you get an ear for after listening to a wide range of basses, bass players, and bands.
  12. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I kind of just woke up and skimmed the boards. When I saw someone saying they got "A Fender Jazz base", I got more crankified :p. After a good iced tea and some Rush, I'm uncrankified.
  13. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    That's what I started on in '73. Wish I still had it (er, uh, before I warped the neck...).

In either case, until you get pretty good, it won't matter too much what you play. For now, I'd focus on a bass where:
    * The "action" is good (really cheap basses can have terrible action).
    * The intonation is good (a good set of strings, with the bridge adjusted properly can salvage even the cheapest of basses).
    * The number of strings (4/5/6+). Only experience can guide you there.

In your overall sound, your amp is equally (if not more) important. A cheap bass amp sounds MUCH worse than a cheap bass.
  14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Another vote for Fender Jazz bass.

It is a very good bass for beginners and non beginners. Just try out as many as you can before buying, there are lemons and gems in between the "standard" factory basses.
  15. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Hey Pete - Welcome to TalkBass! I've learned as much from the guys here as I have learned from my bass teacher. I've even met several friends as well! Hang in there, learn all you can as fast as you can and practice hard. The bass is an awesome instrument! I've got a MIM Fender Jazz and it has served me well even though I'm a newbie myself! Ha!
  16. Pete Newman

Pete Newman

Dec 29, 2003
    Thanks guys for your input,sorry I can't spell. I allready have a Fender Jazz, but can't tell weather I should like it or not . Now I know I made a good choice. Plus, I'm old and saved my money so I could afford it as my first bass. Thanks again!
  17. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah man. tone doesn't really matter for a certain amount of time. unless it sounds like literally ****.
    i'd say that the better you can make a ***** bass sound, the better you are. that's true, i mean, if you suck, you still can't make a $2500 bass sound good.

You know better, man. From the TB rules:

"Because this forum is viewed by bassists of all ages, all posts must be suitable for viewing by young teens. All profanity must be completely covered with asterisks, or substituted with "@%$#" symbols. If you do not mask profanity in your posts, moderators reserve the right to delete the post. If what you have to say wouldn't be suited for network TV, don't post it here."
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pete, it's a good choice, I opted out of a Mexican Fender Jazz for my first bass for an equally priced Ibanez SR400 and was extremely happy. Just fit my hand a little better and I liked the tone better. What goes around comes around, I'm now into that 'gotta have Fenders' stage in my career where P-basses are the shiznit.

All I can say, whether or not you like it is your choice, but good luck and keep bassin'!
  19. Until Dan Lakin created a bass that has most of its advantages and none of its drawbacks.
  20. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I can't see how someone wouldmnt like or recommend a jazz bass to anyone... they are amazing instruments.

If the dude can afford a fender jazz, I say right on. If you dont like your first bass, you may just not endup liking bass all together. Besides that, Mr. Newman didn't say if it was a squier, mim, mia, etc... how can anyone get off giving him a hard time about having a jazz as a first bass? What if Mr. Newman is very well off? why would he buy anything just because it is a cheaper bass and therefor recommended as a beginner bass (so as to not waste your money before you even know if you like it)?

i wanna learn drums, if i could afford the best set, I would buy the best set (best set as per what I like best).. maybe theyd be cheap, maybe theyd be expensive. Who cares.