Rate the Hartke 3500's sound & power.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I used one of these at practice and loved it. How are they for a stage amp? I may get one for a backup.
  2. montrocity

Jan 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    I play one through two hartke 4x10's and i like it a lot for the hard core stuff we play. It's a bit harsh on the blues songs we do but maybe that's just the aluminum cones. As far as pure power goes, it's as loud or louder than any 350 watt amp I've ever played. For the money I'd say it's a good deal.
  3. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I've got a Hartke 7000 that is now my back-up. I played quite a few clubs with it in numerous cab config's....this amp is probably the loudest head I have used. Even if the 3500 is half the wattage it's def gonna be able to hold it's own.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have the 5500 which is the same amp as the 3500 but with 500 watts. Lovely! I think they make good solid amps.
  5. I really don't like the sound of Hartke stuff (esp the 3500)
    it's just not the tone I'm looking for...it's too harsh and brittle sounding for me...alot of that may have been the Hartke Transport 410 i used...(this is my friend's gear that I tried out)
  6. you might wanna do a search as well, this question has been asked a few times...
    I've had a 3500 for about 10 yrs and its been a great workhorse amp. 100s and 100s of gigs. Soild and well built. I've only had it serviced once for a cleaning and a tube replacement.
    For the price its a very good amp. Plenty loud, decent tone shaping and useful output. I really like the post EQ contour knobs, as i found them the most useful. The solid state/tube mix is nice, but not very tube sounding when using full tube.The onboard compressor should be left in the off position, as its useless, other than that its done me very well.
  7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Here's a clip of my 3500:

The Hartke bass amp heads are known for being very LOUD, punchy, and gritty. I love the tube / solid controls. Plus they're very rugged / build tough.

I love mine!
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had one for a few years, and it was reliable, plenty loud for me, and I like the sound. A very good amp, IMO.
  9. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Hey Lefty, nice clip! I like how tight, thick, and punchy that sounds. What kind of bass did you play through? What was the cab setup and how did you record it?
  10. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Here ya go:
  11. Thumpinthenight

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I've had the 3500 for about 4 & 1/2 years now. Gigged, practiced, in and out of severe temp changes-and it still keeps on ticking. I recently took it in to a local electronic amp wiz, for a (pre-amp) tube replacement a, and found a few small solder joints needed correcting. Tone-wise, I use it with a Hartke 410XL and 115XL for a slightly crispy/punch, the way I prefer.
    I am now going to use it as a practice/backup after assembling an Ampeg SVP-PRO with a power amp I haven't chose yet.
    For the money, you can't beat the Hartke 3500. ;)
  12. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    There's not much I can say about the 3500 that hasn't been said. It's a great amp for the price. I used it to power my 8-Ohm Hartke 410XL (the good one, not Transporter) and I was pleased with it. A little too crisp for me, though. It was pretty loud for 240 watts. With my Ampeg 810 (amp @ 350W), it's much better. I play mostly rock/hardcore and have plenty of volume. I'm not a big fan of spending a long time trying to find my tone, and this amp has been good for me. Most of my friends who are on a budget have gotten these. I haven't had any problems with mine.

RockBobby, if you're interested, take a look at my sig. I just bought a Mesa 400+ (ahh, tuuubes... :D ) and need to part with some of my stuff. I'd like to keep it as a backup, but can't afford to. I live in MA, so maybe we could work something out...

13. tomdabass

Apr 19, 2004
    Does the hartke 3500 has a tuner out???
    Can I use this amp in a rack??
  14. It has an effects send/return that will work for your tuner. Currently mine is mounted in an SKB rack. HTH
  15. IMHO they are one of the worst sounding heads I've ever used...maybe it was just poor EQ'ing...but I've played two venues that had these set up as the "house" amp and requested that i use em....and they sounded like garbage...but different strokes for different folks
  16. Could have been that particular rig too. I have the 3500 and run ampeg SVT410E and SVT15E cabs with this head and have great tone, especially with the tube side of the preamp. Just my$.02
  17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think it has nice clean sound. Power, pretty good. Durability, I gigged one for 4 years with countless practice sessions and never a problem. Why I don't still use it, I wanted a more "rich" tone that my Trace provides.
  18. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got all kinza tube amps, and I think the H 3500 is a great amp. I always get the SS klankyness out with a SansAmp BDDI. But even without it, you can get a very good/excellent tone and power.
  19. tomdabass

Apr 19, 2004
    I never had a chance to try a hartke 3500, but the specs are impressing me. can I use the 3500 for funk and jazz also or is it just a rock amp????
  20. I had one for a while too. nice amp - I found the tone controls very useful. Never had any problems, but I never pushed it hard. Tomdabass - You sure could try it with all those styles. It depends on what the group is try ing to do too. It probably wouldn't be appropriate for traditional jazz with upright, but for a smooth jazz type of band or fusion I think you could get quite a good slap sound out of it. It should funk pretty good too.

IMHO - BT