1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rate the Hartke 3500's sound & power.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I remember David Pegg from "Jethro Tull" used a Hartke amp and Henry 8x8 with a Jazz bass. It sounded excellent. They play very low volume now.

2. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    A great amp. I'm seriously considering moving on after owning the same one for almost 10 years, only because it's starting to feel a bit heavy. Great tone with everything bypassed. Plenty loud.

3. tomdabass

tomdabass

Apr 19, 2004
    The hartke is really a nice amp for this low price. But I´m not sure which 4x10 cab go with. Should I take Eden d-410t or the Svt 410 he??? Which cab is more for allround?? I´m looking for a new rig that can handle nearly any style of music!

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I think the people that are disapointed with the Hartke 3500 are the people looking for a different tone.

In no way does the Hartke want a warm smooth sound. The Hartke 3500 is loud, abrasive, and in your face. It's known for it's bright grittiness and quick abrasive punch to help you cut through the mix. Basically, you WILL be heard no matter what with a Hartke. My Ampeg head was too warm and not agressive enough, so I traded it for a Hartke. I am much happier.

Different strokes for different folks and it REALLY depends what tone you're looking for. The Hartke 3500 colors the tone A TON, but that's why I love the amp so much. Also, the Hartke 3500 EQ system is one of the best EQs out there.

If you want an agressive tone, Hartke is the amp to go with.

5. craigers2

craigers2 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i've been playing through my hartke 3500 for close to 7 years. overall, it has been a very reliable and powerful amp for the price. i would highly recommend this. personally, i'm looking at getting something new just to get a little more powerful "natural" sound.

6. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I love my hartke 3500. I have used everything from svt's to swr's and think this head is a great head for the money. If you have any idea how to operate an EQ you can roll the high end down and have it sound quite warm. I use it for older blues and it sounds great.

7. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    well, FWIW, I used an old 3500 MOSFET for years and was the loudest 350 watt amp I have ever heard ... even since. Not sure of the power the new 3500's put out.

As far as the tone, I eventually moved on to GK/SWR but it still is a great amp for the money.

8. I have both a model 7000 (maybe the "MOSFET" model) and a 3500 (mounted in the long-discontinued 1155 combo amp --that's a kickass combo if you can ever try one), and although they're not my front burner amps anymore, they are very good sounding, non-exotic amps for people who need good sound at usable volume levels. Had a problem or two with each one, but nothing that couldn't be fixed (I got both used). Again, check out the 1155 if you can find one. Blows away the current Hartke combos with the 2500 head, regardless of speaker compliment.

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Slightly old thread, but thought I'd chime in.

I haven't owned a lot of amps, but I love my Hartke 7000. Currently only running one cab with it, a goliath II 4x10. The 7000 is essentially two 3500's and I'm only using the one until I find nice 1x15 or 1x18 to put alongside. Then I'll run the highs to the 4x10 and the lows to the 1x15 with the adjustable crossover. Awesome feature.

I swapped out the tube for a warmer sounding one which took off that harsh hartke edge, and now it's a nice punchy amp.
    And yes, this sucker's LOUD. I have yet to turn the master vol up past 4 because my guitarist's wife complains that it's shaking all the windows on the second floor. We play in the basement. Mind you this is only using 1 cab and half the total potential output. :eek:

Only downside in my mind is that it's a VERY heavy amp. Seriously, do NOT get one of these if you have a bad back. I'd prefer something lighter, but it's a sweet amp and honestly I don't move it around much anyway. Sits in the practice space unless we have a gig.

Very happy with it for having paid just $350 used about 6 months ago. I don't anticipate getting rid of it any time soon.

10. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I was forced to borrow one for a gig, and although the tone wasn't particularly amazing I was completely shocked at the amount of volume it could pump out.

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Hmmm... interesting... sounds like you're talking about two different situations here? (EDIT Yeah, just noticed these posts were three months apart)

Old thread I know, but FWIW...

I have a Hartke 5000 and it's loud as a loud thing, the tone and EQ controls are very flexible, it's been reliable on a lot of gigs to date, it's a great amp. Not sure about it colouring the tone THAT much. It may be on the bright side for some with everything set flat, sure, but just roll some high end off. I find I can get pretty much any sort of tone (as long as it's available from the bass I'm using of course - it can't make a P with flats sound like a Rick with rounds ;) )

12. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I have one that I use mostly as a practice amp with my Avatar Delta 210 cab-I don't have that much against it,but I just like my other amp(Yorkie XS800H) better to drive my Schroeder 410,which I use for practice and gigs-the Schro 410 begs for 1400 watts and even though the Yorkie only gives it 800W, even with that, its got more volume than my band can handle.The Hartke 3500 is a little "thin" sounding compared to the thicker,warmer sound of my Yorkie, and I suppose its about as loud as a SWR 350 I used to own...similar tone to the SWR...nice little amp...:D

13. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Au contraire, bass buddies. I had a 3500 and the only reason I dumped it was it was constructed quite shoddy. Little things broke on that amp like clockwork. In less than 2 years, I went through 2 sets of handles(and lets face it, how much of the amps time is taken up by carrying it) as well as the fan grill breaking, the bass contour knob sheared off and those pesky L.E.D.s on the graphic would come out. And I babied this amp. It sat alone on the front seat of a big American car and it still fell apart. On the other hand, it always worked.

14. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Picked up a totally abused 3500. Plastic sleeved input jack was broke. Screw missing from front cover and cold solder joints everwhere. Had all the joints resoldered, replaced jack with all metal one supplied by Hartke. Replaced the 12ax7 with a Electro Harmonix. I have 2 cabs and take one or the other and sometimes both, depending on the sound that I want. A Hartke 410xl and a Tech SoundSystems ct212. The 2 cabs give both fat and punch at the same time. Also have a Sansamp BDDI which is a whole other story. It sound great on stage and is very versatile. Even if I upgrade, the 3500 will stay around for backup. :hyper: :hyper: