1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rate these heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oleskool, Oct 21, 2013.

1. oleskool

oleskool

Sep 27, 2011
    Detroit, Mi.
    GK MB 500
    GK RB 400
    GENZ Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Please rate these heads. Which would you choose and why did you make that choice.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    For what?
    Plugged into what?
    Played with what bass?

For me, I'd choose either GK (I own both of them) because I like the GK tone more than the GB tone.

3. oleskool

oleskool

Sep 27, 2011
    Detroit, Mi.
    Used with diy cab. 1 15 Eminence cb15.
    Old school sound. Deep lows but clear not too muddy. Not super loud.
    My real concern is reliability. How versatile the amp is.
    Plan to build either two BFM Jack 10's or Jack 12's. Still undecided.
    Like blues, Motown, funk.
    Would like it to sound good with fender jazz, I also have a peavey t20 that I love.

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    GK, all day!

5. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Why those heads specifically?

I would be looking for a GK 800RB if it were me. Pick one up for under 4 bills and they are a serious workhorse. A workhorse with a pedigree even!

6. You are describing the G-K 400RB, MB500 second maybe.

7. oleskool

oleskool

Sep 27, 2011
    Detroit, Mi.
    Thought about the 800RB. Don't think I really need that much amp. I am a older guy don't really play super loud. In my experience, most amps sound best about in the middle range of their rated power. These amps fit my volume level, trying to be practical.

8. 400, because I've had the MB-500 and wasn't thrilled. Never tried the GB but Im leery of micros. Had a GK-700RB-IV, dug it.

9. Either GK will no doubt give you your money's worth. The MB500 is great because its light-weight and pumps some serious power for its size wheras the RB 400 is easily the best modern solid state amp you will find on the market. Built like a brick ***house and will give you more than enough power without the overkill.

Of the two, I fancy the RB 400 over the MB 500 purely for the tone. I'm still not 100% convinced on digital power amps since they sound a bit too clean and sterile for my tastes. Might be something to your liking, though. The RB series has been consistently impressive for its build quality and tonal variety - considering its a solid state amp. I would gladly put them up against hybrid amps.
    However, if weight is an issue and you're more interested in power over tonal discrepencies, the MB500 isn't a bad amp by any stretch. There aren't many amps out there you can literally chuck in a gig bag with your bass and haul it wherevr you go :p

10. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Another vote for the GK 400RB.
    Just an overall solid amp.

To get a Good Rock Tone/Modern Rock, I pair it with my GK NEO412 cab.

To get an Old School/80's Rock, I pair it with my Bergantino NV610 cab.

11. From your tone description, it would be the GK MB500 all the way. I am quite familiar with all of those heads.

The 400RB is quite attenuated down low... nice and punchy and grindy, but not much clean low end, especially at 8ohms.

The Shuttle 6 is 'tight and bright', and the low end is somewhat rolled off for optimal matching to the small Shuttle cabs. You can expand the low end with the lo boost, but it won't extend as low as the MB500. The revised Shuttle 6.2 is warmer and fatter, and would work great for you IMO.

MB500... kind of bright up top, but with your cab, and a bit of EQ, you can tame that. Nice power down low, big low end extension, nice EQ, and louder than both of the above at 8ohms.