Rate this R-Bass for me before I purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jkelly, Jun 23, 2003.

1. jkelly

Jun 17, 2003
    Take a look at the R-Bass shown below. I have been looking for a new bass and am interested in this one but alas I will not be able to play it first.
    Please give me your honest opinions on what you may know about these basses including the 33" scale. I am not really interested in the issues regarding the R-Bass being a Fodera copy but I am interested in playability issues, great slap and fingerstyle tone etc. The asking price is about $1800.

33" scale
    Spalted maple top & headstock
    Padauk/maple neck
    Alder body
    Custom-wound Bart P/J pickups
    18-volt Pope preamp
    Hipshot hardware

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Can't you work in an "approval period", even if it's only 48 hours???

The R Bass I played for several hours, (at a friend's in LA), was wonderful!!! But it was a single cutaway with much more exotic tonewoods and other components than that bass you describe. And the 33" scale isn't what I'd be after, just speaking in terms of personal preference.

If the seller insists on a "dead end" deal where you can't return it if you're not happy with it, I wouldn't be reluctant in spite of the fact I respect Ray Roger's work immensely.
  3. I actually looked at that bass really long and hard for a while. The top is actually chestnut, and the pre-amp is most likely not a pope, because he is exclusive to Fodera. It might be a haz-lab or something else, either of which will probably sound very nice.

If your looking at it from the bass palace, they did have a return policy. Also, I got the response from alot of people that for the money I could do better, but in the end the decision is yours. I passed up on it. Worst case scenario you could always send it back if you decide its not for you.
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX