1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rate this setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J-Building, May 4, 2010.

1. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I'm pretty new to the whole cab/head business, and I was wondering what you guys think of this.

Mesa 6x10 Diesel, 900 watts rated at 4 ohms

Fender TB-600

What is your general opinion on tube amps (from a strictly utilitarian standpoint, I don't want anyone getting warned because I started a controversial thread)? Is there anything I should be wary about?

2. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    the Fender TB-600 isn't a tube head fyi...

3. Half right... it's got a tube preamp, solid state power amp. But I agree, it's not the same as an all-tube amp.

I have a Shuttle 6.0, which is a "hybrid" amp as well, and I love it. The tube preamp can get you a nice gritty overdrive sound, the solid state power amp provides great punch.

Aside from the debate about the head, it sounds like a pretty sweet rig to me, although I've never played through either part. Mesa makes some good stuff, Fender's been around forever.

5sg.

4. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    I could probably make it work for me. Overkill for me though. I'm sure you could make it work for you.

5. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    What's a fair price for this? The seller states that the amp has only been used to test it, and he's selling for 900. The mesa cab is also selling for 500, but I haven't received any correspondence from him, and I may be looking at an ampeg 810 that "appears" to be brand new for the same price.