Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rate this slap/pop riff

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ironmaidenisgod, May 22, 2004.

1. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    G-------------------------------------------------
    D-------------------------------------------------
    A---15-17-18-15----15-17-18-15--15-17-18-15---
    E-15-------------15-------------15---------------
    t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t
    G-15-17-15-17-----------------------------------
    D------------------------------------------------
    A------------------------------------------------
    E------------------------------------------------
    p p p p

I wrote it yesterday.Wanted something that started on a G.
    Suggestions and changes are welcome.

Kind of difficult to denote the timing.It's pretty fast.4/4 say.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You want to transcribe that to notation? Tablature doesn't mean alot if you can't hear the riff.

For example,

-17------18h22p17-------------12-------------21
    ---16-------------------15-----9--7/24---20----
    -----15------------------------10-----------19--
    -------14---------12h14---12/2--------18-------

This ^ means absolutley nothing, without any time signature, tempo, or other notes on how to play it; it is just numbers.

Do yourself a favor a learn to read, write, and understand standard notation, it will make things easier later. Best thing I have ever done as for as being able to learn new pieces (Learned it when I started taking piano lessons)

Good Luck,
    Adam Barkley

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ALso why would you play it so high up on the fretboard,...to me, slapping stuff up there doesnt sound great.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    sweet. the faster the better. i think it rocks. i like to play my slap and pop stuff super fast high up on the neck cause i think it sounds sweeet. i have some stuff too but i don't know tabs, but yours sounds good.

5. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I played really high up
    1.cuz like jazzbo said it sounds sweet.
    2.My amp. sucks.When I play low,there is this braying noise accompanying it.
    3.I wanted it an octave higher than what my guitarist is playing.

Anyhow,I cant transcibe that to notation,cuz I simply don't know it.However I'll try learning it.

6. You're supposed to welcome new members,not mock them.

7. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Osama,give your suggestions.I'm willing to learn.

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Take no heed of thess guys Iron... They think they're being funny/clever. It's hard to deny however, that most of us are here because we have too much time on our hands.

We have no idea how your bass is set up and so we have no idea how it sounds. However, if it sounds good to you that's the only thing that matters.

A lot of people here mock tab, mainly because they have forgotten how it feels to be new to an instrument, particularly if you don't have a large amount of time to devote to learning to read music. Most people take up bass playing as a hobby, and to be franks-getting the basics down- technique, basic sight reading, familiarising your self with different scales- is never going to be the wildest time of your life. If you put the time in though you will reap some highly beneficial rewards.

The problem with tab is unless your'e familiar with the song to begin with it's not very useful. It gives you no sense of rythm, dynamics, tempo... time signature...
    For examlpe when I first looked at your notes I was reading them in 5 because I have no idea of the length of each note (also because I'm a bit dim and didn't notice your having written 4/4).
    If you really value our opinions that much you might be better off recording it onto your pc or learning how to write music.
    We just don't really know how it sounds. :confused:

9. I didnt try it out. why? Slapping at 3 in the morning on a $200 bass isnt the best idea...

*shrug* I got something constructive to say. Iron Maiden are cool:)

10. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah Jazzbo, that is messed up man...

Anyways Iron Maiden- try not to post stuff like this in the future. There are many grumpy old farts here who don't like to help out people new to the bass.

Let me just echo what someone above me said: learn to read and write music! Seriously, it will be the best thing you have ever done.

PS, Iron Maiden does rule.

11. the notation will help.

but also realize that you are not playing an octave above the guitarist because your G at the 15th fret is the same as his G at the 3rd fret.

so you are now playing his lowest note.

12. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    It gives a nice harmonic sound,Maidenish I guess.Not like Harris and a guitarist, more like say Murray and Smith.

Thanks to those who encouraged me.

13. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Just a small doubt.Is the G on the 3rd string(A string-10) the same note or a note higher?

14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Same note.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    As everyone has stated. Tab gives no sense of rhythm, if you can't transcribe it in standard notation... how about a brief recording?

Or you could not worry what a group of bozos online think about your bass playing. ;)

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey ironmaiden, you know, I really was just having some fun at your expense. I have no idea how your bassline sounds, as I can't read tabs. Why don't you record yourself and then post it somewhere where we can all hear it. We'd all get a lot further then.

17. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Hilarious thread. What the hell is wrong with you guys! :confused: The kid deserves to be ROASTED! Fuqua turns over and grumbles...

18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I have played flute for over 14 years now, and I can read all music, I have played Classical/Jazz/Latin-jazz/Funk/Fusion all on my Flute. But I play the same music on my bass, and sometimes it is Just easier to find tabs, Plus without instruction, some people will simply never learn correctly (Not a Knock at anyone, In fact I am one of those people)

19. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I love you Jazzbo.

20. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I don't have a mike,guys.Can't record.But it does sound good on my bass. :bassist: