Rate Warwick Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass element, Dec 13, 2004.

1. How would you guys rate the Warwick 5 string Thumb bass on a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being the lowest?
    What strings, in you opinion, would probably sound best on them for more of a Tool-ish/ Mudvayne-ish sound?

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a good bass. I would use DR Lo riders or Warwick black labels.
  3. ehhhh, not my preference, i wouldn't buy one for the stuff i like to play, overall i do not like warwick basses at all the flat necks i dont dig. I really dont dig their sounds either. I'm more of a fan of Musicmans and Laklands.
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I've been playing a Warwick thumb 5'er neck thru for about 10 years and it is my number one go to bass. It is a matter of personal choice as someone who likes the fender sound will probably not be crazy about the warwick sound and vice versa.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I think it would be safe to assume there's more to the Tool and Mudvayne sounds than the type of strings used..

I'd say round wounds would be a good starting point.

Oh, I'd rae it as a 3.9 out of 5
  6. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Ive had a Warwick thumb Bolt on 4 string for about 5 months now, and i love it, the tone, the playability, the look and feel.

5/5 :)
  7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Had one, wasn't the bass for me, but it was a really good instrument. Try DR Longhorns.
  8. I have a B/O 4 and love the tone with DR Hi-Beams. The Thumb dosen't fit me well and gives me back/shoulder pain after about a half-hour. I've gone back to my P-Bass...
  9. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
  10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im running the exact same setup as groove monkey, i thumb 4 BO with hi beams and LOVE IT. I got it just to see if i liked it, i liked it ok, then i took it with me to australia for 6 monthes. I got back and was so excited to play my stingray....maybe my stingray might be up for sale. grrr i dont wanna do it but i dont think my stingray plays as nice, dunno its all up to opinion though.
  11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    If you get one, buy one used that has the wenge neck/brass nut, and not the ovankol neck/plastic nut. I've owned two thumb basses, one was crap on a stick made around 2002, and the other was a kick ass neckthrough from 1989 that made me realize the truth of the previous statement. Plus, for the price of a used one (around 1800), your getting a discount, and a better value. Good luck on that tight spacing, which was the only reason that I sold my 89. :crying: Oh well, now I have a neckthrough Smith 5 :hyper:
  12. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    ryan from mudvayne uses dr hi-beams 45-105 and 135 for the 5 string but justin of tool uses a wal bass mostly and has a mysterious rig but for that kind of sound stainless steel strings are a good place to start also an ampeg pro 4 and ampeg pro 8x10 cab is what ryan uses along w/ mixed guitar amps
  13. Warwicks sounds very crisp and growly. I like them a lot, except I prefer the feel of a Fender style bass. The flat neck doesn't suit me. However there's nothing wrong with it. It's more of a preference thing. Warwicks are great, solid basses. I'd rate it about 4.5.
  14. _Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    A 5-string and a 6-string (neck-through). Both apparently made in 2000, according to the serial numbers. The two do sound different, BTW. The 5 (which has MEC J-bass pickups) has a more focused midrange, and the 6 (which has MEC soapbars) has more treble, and considerably higher output. Tone-wise, the 5 wins (more of the authentic, funky "Warwick" signature tone), but by only a hair. The six is more tonally neutral, and even.

I also own an original Tobias Signature 6 (Serial #950 - NOT Gibson). I would consider these three basses to be my "first string" players. I recently had the opportunity to compare these 3 basses, side-by-side, all with new strings.

My take? The Tobias (a quality benchmark bass by almost anyone's measure) is truly FULL RANGE. The Warwicks are not. What does that mean?

That very specific Warwick tone (which I also love) actually sounds like you have the bass routed through a wah-wah pedal, slightly pulled back. A sort of a "hollow" EQ tone; owwwnnh.

When you pick up the Warwick cold, it's sound is just friggin' awesome...but...when you put it down and pick up the Tobias, it's like someone just took the goofy EQ off your bass (or your sinuses cleared up).

...But here's the bottom line: CONTEXT.

What kinda music you wanna play? There's certain things that the unique funky Warwick EQ would just be PERFECT on (and that's why I own them)...but it's a very specific thing. I think that's why it's such a love it/hate it kinda bass for so many people.

I should also mention that the Tobias plays like a dream, whereas the Warwick neck feels like someone sawed a friggin' baseball bat in half. It's just a pain in the @ss to play (especially the 6) and just tires my forearm out something awful...but I love the Warwick anyway, because it just makes that sound.

I just don't know if I would make it my ONLY bass, unless the band I was in musically dictated that I make THAT SOUND.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm down on the Warwicks...I'm really not...in fact, right now, I kinda have a real big fat chubby for my Warwicks, but I don't kid myself - I know it's a very unique thing, as far as basses go.

Hope that helps...
  15. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I love Warwick basses, I had a great Custom Shop Thumb 5 BO and a 4 string NT and the only reason I sold the 5 string was I couldn't get use to the 17mm spacing, I need wider for it to be comfortable for me.

For the strings, to get that Tool tone, you will for sure need stainless steel strings to get the brightness out of them. Of the few different ss string sets I tried on the Thumbs, the Warwick Blk Labels sounded the best for me.

I also still own a Warwick Streamer Stage ll 4 and love it. I give the Thumbs a 4 and would get a 4.75 if the balance was better. Now the Streamer Stage II I give a 5

Pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace
  16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Agree w/ pistoleroace. However I wouldn't part w/ my Thumb NT 4 string for anything. I use DR- hi Beams through and AGUILAR rig and I can get a dead on MUDVAYNE sound. I also recomend Lo-riders $ stainless steel all the way!!! 5 out of 5. If you get a 4" strap it balances perfectly.
  17. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a NT4 as well. 10/5. I love the thing.
  18. _Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
  19. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Thanks a lot, I still have 4 of the basses on there and one that I need to take pics of and put on there. The funny thing is,depending on the particular bass, I have played the same basses for 8-17 yrs without much thinking about buying a new bass. After I started making some good extra money mostly from playing, I decided to sell off two of them and buy some really nice ones when money allowed. It's amazing, never cared to buy new ones until one day, now I can't stop. :hyper: