1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rating system on bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Adam Barkley, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Who does all this rating? Do they realize that the very future and popularity of artists rests on this arbitrary rating system? The balance of power rests firmly their shoulders. Why do they bother with simply controlling musical rating when there are many fish, large and small, to placed into fryers of all sizes?

This I say to you.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :eyebrow: huh? what rating system?

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well I imagine there would have to be at least one. How else could some bassists be overrated, others underrated, while others still aren't even rated. Not taking into account that often a bassist might be overrated by some and underrated by others. Which would lead me to believe that there are at least two rating systems.

4. +1.

I've certainly never heard of any "rating system" for bassists.:confused: :confused:

5. i love it, your absolutely right.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Sunday mornings really are the best time to smoke the wacky tabacy.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    This thread was meant to be tongue-in-cheek about how I think "over or underrating" a bassist is ridiculous. No drugs were invovled in this thread.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I rate the bassists! I, and I alone, deem who is worthy of what. I am King S**t of Turd Island! Take a knee!

9. As a great philosopher once said:

"I rate therefore I am". :D

10. i generally wait to see what woodchuck says about the bass player, and then i go from there...

in an alternate reality, i would imagine the rating system being society, and what they believe is good. for instance, society claims mark hoppus is good...i say he is not...therefore i say he is overrated

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks. I will never again have an opinion about any bassist. All bassist are equally good all the time. :ninja:

12. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Oh come on. You know who does the rating, and you know what over rated means.

Everybody does the rating, when you say to a friend "Hey the other day I was checking out ... on bass, and he was awesome" you just rated a bassist. Somebody is over rated when they can't play as well as everybody seems to think.
    It's real simple, and it is pretty silly to think it can be avoided.

Is that a really tall horse you are on?

Bryan

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    And I didn't say that. This thread was created in jest about all the over and underrated threads that I'd seen lately. If you think something is good, it is good simple as that.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    But don't you agree that is impossible to quantify overrated? Playing well (or your example, not playing well) is in the eye of the beholder. Some think consider wanking all over the fretboard to be playing well, others are the polar opposite. Whose "rating" is the correct one?

I was also joking about how the same famous names end up in both discussions. How Bassist A be overrated and underrated?

No horses here sorry.

I think everyone took a silly thread that I created too seriously. Sorry.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Don't be sorry, humor is tough to pull off on the web sometimes. I chuckled after reading your reply to me. I'll close this before it gets ugly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.