RATM - Evil Empire - Bass Distortion??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by panazza, Nov 26, 2004.

1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I was listening carefully to Rage Against The Machine's second album Evil Empire, and I noticed a really good distortion on bass... (other than one of the greatest bass sound ever!!)

anyone knows what kind of pedal is that?

to me, it seems like a tube amp cranked up... more of an overdrive than a real distortion... but I read tim commerford used proco rat distortion pedal... but that's a distortion, not an overdrive...
  2. Tim C. doesn't really let people know what he used.

But I know he used J basses, ampeg amps, and a couple pedals.

Try the sansamp bass driver, or maybe a proco rat, if you noodle with these, you could get a very close tone.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In his current rig with audioslave he uses the tube drive section of an Ashdown ABM500EVOII for his distortion sound.

9v Active bass(+15db,bass), input set to passive, Valve drive on full, Bass at 3 oclock, everything else flat.

I have this on authority of Andrew at Ashdown, who shipped the amps out to him ;)
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Interesting... because he just recently bought some Mesa/Boogie Big Block 750's too. Hmmm... :confused: The world may never know for sure.
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I think I remember hearing that he uses Mesa amps for his clean sound, so maybe that would explain it?
  6. the pedal is a marshall guv'nor...he said it himself
  7. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    that was in the first RATM album... ;)

what about Evil Empire?? who knows....
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i thought he recorded evil empire with a rickenbacker?
  9. I'm very sure he had his Maple/Ash Jazz Bass through an SVT rig and only a Marshall Guv'nor pedal.

At the moment with Audioslave he's running with Mesa for his clean, an Ampeg head (SVT2 maybe?) for normal and custom hod-rodded Ashdown Evo 500/900 for his over the top distortion. With a Rosewood/Ash Jazz bass.

thats of the top of my head from the previous article's ive read.
  10. well, in the BP interview, he said he used it all through ratm, so i think he did...
  11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    He made up the custom hot-rodded bit. Its two completely standard ABM500EVOII RM
  12. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ain't no distortion on the first album!
  13. Then what do you call the distorted bass solo part in Know Your Enemy? (4.03 into the track)
  14. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    When I saw AUDIOSLAVE last year, Timmy C had a svt2pro with pro serie cabs and also a mesa boogie Mpulse with mesa cab.
    I saw the white wah pedal from Dunlop and mxr bass DI.
  15. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Thats the only part though and thats overdrive!
  16. CannibalCorpse

CannibalCorpse Guest

Nov 29, 2004
    i got the same sound of his distorted solo when using a ibanez pd7 overdrive with a Dunlop wah all the way down. now i just need to order a sansamp so i can get the rest of the ratm bass tone... should be ordering it later 2day... couldnt think of a better way to waste sum of my college $$$ :D
  17. RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    I've read that Tim modified a wah-wah pedal to be his overdrive pedal. Don't ask me how he did it. If I knew, I'd have tried it (and failed miserably) by now.
  18. RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Right, I found what I was talking about in the previous post:

Commerford’s ultimate secret weapon is a one-of-a-kind, custom-made distortion box, based on a pedal he crafted himself from parts of an old wah pedal. “My distortion comes before everything else. If you have a good distortion box, then all the other pedals work great.”
  19. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

timmy c used a marshall guv'nor w/his 'ray for the first album. after that he switched to jazz basses and built his own stompbox. There's a Bass Player interview all about his sound.
  20. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I remember reading that he has used two complete Peavey(thats what I said!) stacks in the past. One was set for clean and the other was distorted. He used an A+B pedal and when he wanted grit he just clicked on the dirty amp, which was added to the clean- sounds good to me because you'd always have a solid bass tone underneath the "fuzz".