RATM - timing issues?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by peteroberts, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Let me first say that I LOVE RATM, I wish Zack would get back with those guys. But let's save that discussion for another day.

Anyone else hear them speeding up/slowing down on the 1st 2 records? I've been listening ...

but on the Audioslave record I don't hear any - sounds really groovin.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I never noticed any major tempo screw-ups of those records, but maybe they used a click track while recording with Audioslave?
  3. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
  4. it's not major, it's pretty slight
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I read in an interview when they recorded their self titled album, Tom Morello's playing (as it is now) was just slightly behind the beat on every beat, so it's like he's off just a little. And the producer fixed his guitar playing, and he said it was so weird, it didn't even sound like him. So they moved it back. It's strange that fragments of seconds define a persons signature sound.

Edit: I Mean RATM's self titled, not Audioslave.
  6. I thought I was hearing it in the drums?
  7. JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Hmmm, maybe it's Brad's "on the three" style?

I really don't know, I've never noticed any bad time...

8. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've noticed that they change tempo quite a bit on Killing in the Name. When my band plays it, we are actually more consistent with a tempo than the recording.

Great band by the way!!
  9. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I thought the tempo changes are one of the things that make Killing in the name so interesting, they really require you to listen to each other and groove with each other when you play the song.
  10. lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    i think their sound was getting re-hashed. it just seemed like every new album was the same thing over and over. don`t get me wrong i liked the first stuff. their sound was just getting tired for me.

with a cuubba!
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anyone ever hear that A.C. song called "311 sucks" :D

12. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I don't think that they used a click on the first Rage album. I read an interview with Garth Richardson (producer,engineer) and he said that for the first RATM album that he had them set up how they do when they reherse. He threw up some mics and hit record. Most of the album was cut live, with the occasional overdub and such. So some tempo deviation would not suprise me.

As far as Audioslave goes, I would almost guarentee that it gets its fair share of tweaks in Pro Tools. Though I still think they are all great musicians, just not making the best music right now. IMO
  13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah you can hear that.
    The same is true for Nirvana.
    Honestly I prefer to have minor tempo changes in a record than suffering a fully auto-tuned auto-timed auto-standardized record.
  14. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've never noticed. I feel Brad Wilk to be an EXTREMELY solid drummer. If I could have any drummer for my band, I might have to pick him.
  15. so some people hear it, some don't. I noticed it on Bombtrack (note it is VERY slight), Killing in the Name of, and others on the 1st 2 records. I'll have to go back to The Battle of LA to see if I can hear it there too.
  16. Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    I think I've heard Tom say that he actually likes that their songs speed up for chorus and slow down for verse slightly. He said something in the likes of "that's what a real rock song does".

But you definately have to listen close.
  17. it's because most drummers can't keep perfect time. But I also think it often sounds better when it's not completely in time :smug:
  18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    In todays Pro-Tools world, I like to here a little time fluctuation! Listen to some old soul records...it happened a lot. Lady Marmalade with the Meters as the rhythm section speeds up big time.....but it still grooves :bassist:
  19. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    umm if its not noticeable by most people why would it matter. I mean in band in my school parts are written to have tempo change
  20. I forgot that I had the Battle of LA video...the one recorded in Mexico City. I watched it again tonight ... they sure do have timing issues... just watch. I guess I answered my own question.