Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RATM Tone??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mondo, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Mondo

Mondo Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    St. Augustine Beach
    What are the settings that Tim C. from RATM use on his amp?? What i am wanting to know is what does he turn the Bass, Midrange, Treble, and anything else. I have looked all over and can not find it anywhere. Thanks for the help.

Mondo@bassplayer.cc

2. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    every album is a different story my lad. timmy used to use a RAY on the earlier stuff. typical ray bite. etc. .. then we was strict on Jazz on EE and LA, boosted bass, slightly cut highs and mids at noon is my guess. Its hard to tell because tim is very versatile in his plucking position. im guessing your not using his amp, so use your ear. good luck

3. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    He is right. you can tell by listening to the first album that its a Stingray. And I think the Bullet in the Head video has a Trace Elliot amp in it. Later stuff he plays a Jazz bass with a BadAss II bridge and upgraded pickups (one is black, one is white). And I think he uses SVTs with SVT 810's. That overdriven tone on most of evil empire is the sweetest tone in the world.

Dan

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    The white pup on one of his basses is a (I believe) Seymoure Duncan. Im pretty sure he uses a overdrive pedal (Boss?) and he uses a Jim Dunlop bass Wah aswell.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the distortion pedal he used isnt a boss, its a marshall guvnor pedal. I read an interview with morello and he said tim scared him cuz every couple years hed tear down all his bass stuff and get entirely new stuff. Morello has stuck with most of the same gear all the time. Good luck trying to get his stuff cuz its ALOT. The sound most people are used to who are wishy washy rage fans are the distorted jazz bass with sum ampeg 8x10s. I long for the days when he played his stingray, but i dont remeber what kind of amps he played then. One last thing, play with your fingers, tim is the reason i started playing bass and i almost never play with a pick.

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    At one time he was using two Peavey stacks(one set for overdrive, one set for clean) and an A+B switch. When the guitar would solo, he'd go from clean only, to clean+distorted which would fill out the sound more...a la "Bulls on Parade".

7. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    i heard he writes most of his stuff on upright. anyone know any truth to this? I get hints of it through the simplicity of his lines. I REALLY dig his style, one of the reason i picked up the 4 stringed spear in the first place.

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive never ever heard he played upright. Itd surprise me but that doesnt me its not true. I was in all kinds of rage fan clubs and was real into insider info so id like to hear where you heard this cuz im missing out apprently. I can see it making sense, but most upright guys are big bass distortion fans, dunno.

9. Mondo

Mondo Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    St. Augustine Beach
    What i am looking for is what he turns his knobs to on the amp itself. I play a Fender Jazz bass and i my amp is SWR 2004 with an SWR 4-10. I really would like to get close to his sound!! Please help!!!
    What does boosted bass and cut highs mean?? I got the mids at noon. What are the numbers on all that??? Or how far past noon??

Mondo@bassplayer.cc

10. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    EQ settings alone won't help much at all in imitating his tone

but for what its worth, turn the bass knob all the way up and turn the treble knob down a bit... see? that didn't help much did it?

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    i know this isn't what you're looking for but the tone is in the hands. I've heard that he played the jazz w/the bridge p/u full on then added in the mid as desired for a given song which could/does help in getting the midrange growl [jaco]. i've heard-don't know for sure, but that he used the StingRay's w/SWR cabs then he switched to the Jazz w/Ampegs. thats all