Ratting Truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Nov 7, 2004.

1. When I hit an open "A" note, it sound's like there's a rattle coming from the top of the headstock. I'll check the tuner's to make sure they're tight, but could the rattiling mean the neck's shot? It seem's it just when i hit that "A" string hard.
    Hope to hear from y'all soon!

2. Pluck the string, the touch the various parts of the headstock to find out where the loose bit is. If nothing seems to stop the vibration when touched, then maybe it is the trussrod bolt or something.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Try the nut, a lot of times when a string is put in (especially a new smaller gague) it'll rattle. Try holding it directly over the nut and hitting the open note. If this is so, just reset the string, or put foil/masking tape in the place for the string and make it not rattle :). I have this problem with my new OLP MM2, and that's how I'll fix it.

4. i had that problem... it turned out to be a dead string. happend mostly on the E and B strings
  5. Bueno Choir,
    Thank's for taking the time to chime back, and I'll try all the suggestion's.

Bobbo 77'
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I experienced that and could have sworn it sounded like something rattling - took it to a pro setup guy and he showed me how it was that the nut slots were too low for the strings/action. The sound was the string hitting the fretboard behind where you were fretting - i.e. between the fretted note and the nut.

Temporary solution was to put something in the nut slot to make it higher, but these tend to fall out at the worst moment - the set up guy, used quick-setting superglue and ground-up dust made out of old spare nuts to build up the height of the nut slot.
  7. Did'nt think of that. The bass I'm having this problem with is a Essex 75' Jazz bass copy. Changed pick ups, pick guard, installed a Bad Ass II bridge, but now that you mention it, it could use a Fender nut!

Bobbo 77'