Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rattle and click

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by silentstranger, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Hm, my first post ever [shudders in terror]...
    Anyway, I recently got a new Carvin LB70, and the sound isn't quite what I'd hoped for. There's quite a bit of fret rattle, particularly when I dig in; not fret buzz, more like the sound you'd expect if you cranked the high eq (the sound is prominent with flat eq on bass and amp). The problem has lessened somewhat after a week or so of playing, but it's still not nearly the warm sound I usually prefer. I raised the action to a rather high level, but the sound is still too "clicky" for my taste (I do not play bass for Korn, so I'd prefer not to sound like it).

What do y'all think is the most likely culprit? Truss rod, too-bright strings, still too low action, unlevel frets, bad technique (I think I play harder than average, but not to a great degree), bad karma...? Any insight would be much appreciated, especially if it's soon :D Tomorrow (today, technically) is the last day of my 10-day trial period so I have to decide if this issue is something I can easily adjust away or if I should just send the damn thing back. Thanks much

2. Sounds like every bass I own! :)

Seriously, I prefer the "piano" like tone of bright strings, AND I like a low action. Acapella, I've got a fairly noisy sound but in a group you'd never know. So my choice of a solution would be to make a string change. Certainly stay away from stainless steel and some of the harder nickel compounds. I use D'Addario XL's exclusively so stay away from them for sure. flats would have the warmest tone, of course, but with an obvious compromise in being able to "cut through".

If others are in agreement with me about the string issue, I will bump this up to the Strings forum for their expert appraisal.

By the way SS, welcome to TalkBass!!

3. how many windings do your strings make around the post ?

If you have too few windings, the strings will be more floppy.. for the B,E,A strings i'd reccomend 2 to 4 windings.. for the D,G i'd reccoment 4 to 6 windings..

4. I've still got the factory strings on it; all four have about two windings. They don't feel particularly floppy though...

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think Allodox could be on to something there - I always change the factory strings - first thing I do after buying a new bass - and then set it up to my liking.

The trouble is without seeing the bass in question it's very difficult to diagnose - I've had loads of rattles and odd noises and it has nearly always been different things causing it.

So - it could be low nut slots, loose screws in the bridge, uneven frets, or any number of other things...

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I get that. Annyoing, but very easily fixed